Windows cannot start because file is missing or corrupt:

Status
Not open for further replies.
The cause may not be a missing or corrupt Hal.dll file. The error can be cause by a missing boot.ini, or an error in boot.ini, such as specifying the wrong partition number.

Also if you do try Linux you may get this error again as the partitions will have changed and Windows boot.ini may be wrong again. This is simply fix by editing boot.ini.

You can manually edit the boot.ini file with NotePad but first make a backup copy if you have never done this before. You first have to right click on the file itself and uncheck the read only box since that's a protected system file. You then make the correction needed and save as "all files" not "txt" to see the original overwritten.

The fast and easy way once you have a first or any ide hard drive unplugged if one is present besides the new drive is a fast trip to recovery console in order to see the new boot information written with the fixboot and fixmbr commands used there.

you will never get that error when you boot.ini is missing. this problem is a caused by a virus, corrupt files or somebody trying to bootleg AOL (by changing names and stuff to keep a free account)

The one thing I'll for RogueSeven to answer on is whether or not there's more then one hard drive installed on the system there especially adding a sata model on the system with an ide already having been OSed and seeing the mbr and boot files there instead of on the new drive. You can point out all kinds of theories while the facts are needed first to see what actually happened there.

Microsoft support says differently, although it says after an upgrade to Windows XP. "Invalid Boot.ini" or "Windows could not start" error messages when you start your computer

you will have both up errors up in that instance. when hal.dll is up by itself, it's usually the reasons that I mentioned .all you have to do is check and fix the boot.ini with a bart pe cd. I'll bet money that the boot.ini is fine though

we are assuming that he didn't just upgrade to xp over another operating system of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom