Windows cannot find...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bojan

Beta member
Some time ago i had downloaded some software from internet and i got also some viruses with it. It's O. K.
My virus scaner have detected, but couldn't clean the file but deleted it. O. K.
But the next time i started computer i recieve the following message:
"Windows cannot finde "dust.exe". Make sure you typed the name correctly, and try again. To search for a file, click the start button, and click search. O.K.
And ofcourse i did it but without succes.
I think that virus called "dust.a " or something like that has installed it self in windows registry and now with every bootup (becaouse the rest of virus is deleted) i always recieve this message.
Is there anyone who can help me to solve this problem. Please be precise with instruction and description step by step.

Merry christmas and happy New 2004. year !

There is something in your Startup folder, Startup Tab in msconfig or Run registry key that is attempting to run this execuatable. I can walk you through removing it but I will need to know what operating system you have.

-Mike

The reason it is saying that is because the entry for dust is in either a couple of places.

1. the registry
2. Startup folder
3. Set as a service.

Location in the registry for booting things @ start is:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
You must find the entry that is looking for the dust file and delete that only!

How to find the startup folder ( depends on the OS you are using. )

Find out if it is a service or not. if windows 2000 or XP you can right click on my computer and select manage. then from the list choose the service tab. then locate it there.

Hope this helps

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom