Which Windows to buy .. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 02:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Which Windows to buy ..

Locally, I can purchase XP home for 119.99$, or the Pro version for 249.99$. I am in the midst of doing some upgrades to my system, and am looking to finally get on board with XP, although I don't know exactly why. Conforming to the standards I guess.
I could go through the rigors of browsing Ebay for XP to save a few bucks, but the reality is I'm not really concerned about the cost. So, what I need XP to do for me is just manage a small home network. Only 4 pc's connected and a printer to share. I know both versions of XP can do the job, but from your perspective and experience, which is the more functional of the two for networking at home?
Thanks.

Old 12-02-2004, 06:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

home will b fine i no plenty of people that hav it on a network. i bet 1/2 the people on these forums dont no the dif between home and pro!

Zimon

Old 12-02-2004, 06:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

hey
home ver is good but the pro ver has much more features similar to 2000. if u are a n advanced user then go for xp . as for the networking part i dont know as i not setup any. i guess u have more detailed access to os in pro like the services. i dnot know much about xp home. never actually used one.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Pavlyk

Ok first of all you are getting ripped off. You can get home now for like 95 not 115. And you can get pro for 115. So decide what you need.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Pro is suppose to have better security on the network. I don't notice any difference
Old 12-02-2004, 07:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via AIM to rollincatera Send a message via Yahoo to rollincatera

if you can spare the extra $$ go with pro. if your a computer geek like most of us...go pro.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Pavlyk

Quote:
Originally posted by rollincatera
if you can spare the extra $$ go with pro. if your a computer geek like most of us...go pro.
Go Linux
Old 12-02-2004, 08:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

Home will do fine.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
ID.10T

Send a message via AIM to ohGrFreak Send a message via Yahoo to ohGrFreak

Home is faster because it's less of a resource hog, plus, I have three computers networked all with XP home. I would try to find a copy of XP home OEM, which will be cheaper.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks all. As far as the Pro version being a resource hog, I know you are able to shut off a lot of the redundant services to make it move quicker.
As far as those prices go, they are based in Canadian currency, so even if I did buy them at American prices, add in the exchange and duty and all that good stuff, and I still end up paying the same price; well for the home version at least. Plus I would have to wait for it to be shipped, whereas I can just go to my local shop here and grab it.
As far as OEm cd's go, I haven't yet looked onto Ebay for those, I know a few people who do prefer them, and as I understand it, all you get is the cd key and the activation code right? No documentation at all ( like you need that nowadays). Maybe I will go browse Ebay for a bit to see what shows up.
Thanks for the replies.

Closed Thread

« Help | sndvol32.exe »