Windows Boot Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

sickness

In Runtime
Okay, I recently downloaded Super Utilities Pro from download.com to try and speed up my computer. I ran the "Disk Cleaner" function under the "Clean Junk and Obsolete Files" tab and after I did that I recieved a popup box asking for my Windows XP Pro x64 CD because Windows could not locate a file, so I stuck the CD in and the error went away.

Then I double clicked on My Computer and the window didn't look like it normally does, there were no icons and all the text discriptions were little buttons, same with My Documents. Then I tried restarting the computer. After it restart, I didn't get the normal Windows login screen, Screen , but I recieved a screen that looked like this...

Screen After I enter the information in, the desktop loads but I don't get a start menu or a taskbar. The mouse can move around freely, but CRL + ALT + DEL doesn't work or the left and right mouse buttons. It's been about 10 minutes and the screen is still there. Not sure what I can do, anyone have any ideas?

Is there an icon, possibly in the system tray, where the preferences for Super Utilities Pro can be set? If this icon is present it may be possible to restore the desktop settings that you are familiar with.

Another possibility may be an FAQ page on the site that you downloaded Super Utilities Pro from.

A final suggestion is to try ctrl esc to bring up the start menu.

Best regards,
nosbm

CTRL + ESC doesn't work either. There is no start menu or task bar or system tray. I've got three hard drives in the machine, so I'm going to install Windows on one so I can access my main HD and backup my Oblivion game saves and then I'm just going to format.

Try restoring the system. When you are booting into Windows, before the "Windows" logo appears, hit F8, and you will see a special menu on screen.

First try "Last Known Good Configuration"

If that does not work for you, then get back into this menu and go into "Safe Mode With Networking," and restore your system to a previous date using "System Restore."

Does pressing the Windows key give the Start menu or with e give Windows explorer?

Maybe something could be done by starting in one of the safe mode options, pressing F8 before Windows starts usually presents this menu.

Another possibility may be to set the bios to boot from the CD or DVD drive and then to reinstall a new version of Windows on the problem drive. This would let you do a backup before reformatting.

Best regards,
nosbm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom