Windows Back-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

LFCJohnSmith

In Runtime
I have recently installed a new HDD in my PC as my old one was only 80GB, so I bought a 500GB one yesterday. Prior to me buying my new HDD I had a partition on my HDD which I used to create a system image onto,and everything was fine apart from the fact that I needed a new HDD as the space was going to run out quickly.

Anyway I have now got my new 500GB HDD which showed up as 466GB in my PC which I have split in half. Now though when I create my back up and restore options windows tells me to use the old HDD which I have formated and left in my PC, I dont want to use this drive as my backup location as its only showing up as 76GB free, so before long it will be to small, but what I want to know is, is there anyway I can get windows backup to do more than 1 back up? What I would like is to create a scheduled backup using windows backup but not a system image just select certain files and folders to back up to the smaller HDD, without having to copy and paste them?

Are you using a dynamic disk for backup (meaning are you partitioning your drive in two, making half of that drive your backup)?

Well i would not advise that. While that backs up something if you accidentally delete it, if your drive crashes you are toast. I realize that isn't what you were asking, just wanted to make sure you were aware of the possible consequences if a drive crashed.

I know, and that is why I am wanting to know if there is a way to create another schedule which will enable me to not create a system image but just certain important files etc to another location i.e. my old HD which is still in my pc but has now been formated.

I do know i should really invest in another 500GB HD and then the problem will be solved wont it, having two separate hard drives will be the ideal way to back up my files with no partition oneither of them. Is this the best way to do it out of interest?

Also can anyone tell me if there is a way of creating a partition when you first install windows without having to just do it manually by pressing the down arrow when you create a partiton? I have a logitek keyboard which needs drivers installed before it will work so I cant just type using the keyboard the size of my partition.

There are a ton of feasable ways of backing up data. You could burn them to a DVD or a CD, an external drive, a network drive, through the internet or on another internal drive. I was just saying that partitioning a drive and putting a copy of the files on one side will save you if you accidentally deleted something or needed to reinstall the OS.

Best way is just to have a backup on some other media aside from the drive with the original data.

Thats what I have done, I have created a partition that is half the size of the hard drive, the partition is the D drice and it is where I save my back up to. I use a dvd but mainly for drivers, I also use online back up, but what I wanted to do was see if there is a way I can create 2 schedules in windows backup so 1 can go to my old hard drive (my g drive) and the other to the d drive (the partition of my new c drive).

What Lex means by a drive aside from the original one is this.

You created a partition. But that partition is still the SAME DRIVE as where the data is originating. So if the drive itself fails, you lose the original AND the backup.

You need to find a way ASIDE from making a partition to backup your data so that if the drive fails, you dont lose everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom