Windows on AMD x64 Processor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

giselgeek

Solid State Member
I'm new to this forum, and someone has probably asked this question somewhere. However, I have been unable to locate the topic.

Anywho... I'm looking to purchase a new mobo and processor. I'm considering an AMD Athlon 64 processor, because the prices and performance are higher in comparison to an equivalently priced Intel processor. But I only have the normal Windows XP 32-bit OS.

Will the Windows XP 32-bit OS work on an AMD Athlon 64-bit processor? An answer to this will help me a great deal! :)

giselgeek said:
Will the Windows XP 32-bit OS work on an AMD Athlon 64-bit processor? An answer to this will help me a great deal! :)

Yes it will. I'm currently using a 64-bit processor on 32-bit Windows XP.

Windows XP 64-bit is kind of like a BETA. It's pretty buggy, and not many applications work on it. Use it at your own risk.

That's why so many people use 32-bit, it works!

Thanks!

What exactly are the benefits of the 64-bit architecture? Are there any when a 32-bit OS is installed instead of a 64-bit? I noticed that on sites like newegg.com and tigerdirect.com, it is difficult to find an AMD 32-bit processor now. Are the 64-bit processors that much better? Why is that?

64-bit processors are the new thing. They are slowly getting rid of 32-bit architecture. Only Intel Celeron's are 32-bit now.

64-bit operating systems are a little buggy, because software doesn't run well on it. I believe only a select few programs work on 64-bit Windows XP. Also, it costs much more to purchase it.

Here's a whole article that can answer your questions about 64-bit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit

talldude123 said:
64-bit processors are the new thing. They are slowly getting rid of 32-bit architecture. Only Intel Celeron's are 32-bit now.

64-bit operating systems are a little buggy, because software doesn't run well on it. I believe only a select few programs work on 64-bit Windows XP. Also, it costs much more to purchase it.

Here's a whole article that can answer your questions about 64-bit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit

Well, other than spewing out some inaccurate differences between 32bit and 64bit, you didn't manage to describe the actual difference as in "what 64-bit means" but that's okay.

First off, Windows XP x64 isn't a beta, they actually released it. It's buggy, yes, but that doesn't mean it's a beta. 64-bit operating systems are not a little buggy. 64-bit Linux works great, 64-bit Mac OS X works great. 64-bit Vista works great. Something isn't buggy "because software doesn't run well on it" ... SOFTWARE is buggy because it doesn't run well. Like I said before, 64-bit Linux and Mac OS X and Vista work perfectly fine.

There is this compatibility library for WinXP x64 called WoW or something like, Win on Win64 methinks, but it's supposed to let 32-bit applications work in 64-bit Windows. With Linux there are two methods to runs 32-bit software in 64-bit Linux - chroots and compatibility libraries. Chroots are a lot more stable, and 99.9% of software works great. Compat. Libs are a bit unstable, not everything works, but what does work is a bit more "native" than a chroot, and takes up less space. A chroot is basically a directory with a whole OS inside it, which can be "booted" ... it's actually quite difficult to explain, but this wiki should help:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroot

On to hardware - AMD and Intel only make 64-bit CPUs now. There are Sempron 64 CPUs which are 64-bit. You are correct, Celerons are 32-bit, but Celeron D's are 64-bit.

Basically the difference between a 32-bit CPU and a 64-bit CPU is this ... A bit is short for “binary digit.” It is basically how a computer stores and makes references to data, memory, etc. A bit can have a value of 1 or 0, that’s it. So binary code is streams of 1’s and 0’s, such as this random sequence 100100100111. These bits are also how your processor does calculations. By using 32 bits your processor can represent numbers from 0 to 4,294,967,295 while a 64-bit machine can represent numbers from 0 to 18,446,744,073,709,551,615. Obviously this means your computer can do math with larger numbers, and be more efficient with smaller numbers. You really only see a benefit when doing extremely high end floating point calculations. You won't see any difference at all in just standard every-day computing.

giselgeek said:

Anywho... I'm looking to purchase a new mobo and processor. I'm considering an AMD Athlon 64 processor, because the prices and performance are higher in comparison to an equivalently priced Intel processor.

that's funny. intel are always more expensive (sometime they costs twice as much).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom