Windows Activation Key

ineedtech

Solid State Member
Hello. I had my 64 bit windows 7 activated for years and one day it popped up a message saying you need to activate windows. It asked for a windows activation key. I checked my desktop and it was black and said in the bottom right corner, "Windows 7
Build 7601
This copy of Windows is not genuine."
What does this mean and how do I fix this?

Start -> right click 'Computer' -> Properties -> Scroll to the bottom and click "Activate Windows".

If it doesn't activate online, then you may have to call in - which will be automated. It may ask if it's been installed on 1 PC - just say yes and it will continue with activation. You'll have to say groups of numbers, and then after it verifies the code you gave it, it will have you input groups of codes as well then activation should go through.

Picture

Also, here is a picture of what my desktop looks like with a warning message:

Attachments

• NotActivated.png
    NotActivated.png
    20 KB · Views: 14
Does your pc have a COA (Certificate Of Authenticity) sticker? If it does then copy the key down and boot your pc into safemode by pressing the F8 key repeatedly after it first boots up but before the windows screen starts. Choose the safemode with networking option. This will get you to a limited windows screen where you can activate as per the guide that carganeX gave you

If you do not have a COA sticker on your pc...it gets complicated

Last edited:
What do I click after I go to the Windows Activation screen?
Try to active over the internet. If that fails, then choose the option to activate ever the phone, choose your country and call the number on the screen.
Does your pc have a COA (Certificate Of Authenticity) sticker? If it does then copy the key down and boot your pc into safemode by pressing the F8 key repeatedly after it first boots up but before the windows screen starts. Choose the safemode with networking option. This will get you to a limited windows screen where you can activate as per the guide that carganeX gave you

If you do not have a COA sticker on your pc...it gets complicated
Not that complicated :p. Just need to use Belarc or MagicJellyBean keyfinder.

Sent from my HTC One

Sorry I couldn't reply earlier. Anyway, I didn't install any new software recently, I don't know where I can find that COA sticker, and I will try your way carnageX. Also, after Windows deactivated, first thing I did was download Magical Jelly Bean KeyFinder. I tried the key it gave me using the enter product key box and it did not work. I think it was because at the time I ran the program, I didn't have a product key.

The COA sticker should be on the side of your case (desktop) or bottom of your laptop.

Try Belarc as well as MJB and see if they match up.

Though using my way, you shouldn't need the key - it should already be in the system and it will just reactivate.

Not that complicated . Just need to use Belarc or MagicJellyBean keyfinder.

What I ment by complicated.... If the OP does not have a COA sticker then it's possible that he might not have a legitimate key that M$ will accept

Back
Top Bottom