windows activation - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 01:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via MSN to robina_80
Default windows activation

hi all,

i have windows vista home pre and my problem is an icon pops up on the system tray saying you have installed new hardware or whatever(but i havnt installed any new hardware atall) and i must re activate windows but i cant when i click the icon its loading and after it tries reactivating it it shows me a window and this shows up 4 options i forgot what they are but i choose the i want to activate it using different key so i then enter my cd key and after its loading and it doesnt work.

so basically it says i got 2 days left using windows but ITS CRAZY my windows is genuine copy i got OEM copy bought it from SCAN computers can someone please HELP

Old 07-18-2007, 01:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Default Re: windows activation

Hello,

Choose to activate Windows Vista via telephone.

|Gaming PC| |Dell Latitude E7250| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 10 Pro (x64)| |Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.3 GHz| |MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X| |Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler| |Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-GAMING 5 mATX Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD| |Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-SDRAM| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 07-18-2007, 01:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

You will most likely have to call M$ and have them activate it for you.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 07-18-2007, 03:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via MSN to robina_80

sorted it out called microsoft and all sorted bloody **** could they have made the code any more longer than it already is. why does this crap happen cant microsoft sort it out
Old 07-19-2007, 02:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

so i just only use windows xp......
Old 07-19-2007, 08:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrytree View Post
so i just only use windows xp......
This makes no sense. The same thing happens in XP just as it happens in Vista. Just a couple months ago i added 2 RAM modules and had to call M$ to reactivate my XP but not my Vista.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robina_80 View Post
sorted it out called microsoft and all sorted bloody **** could they have made the code any more longer than it already is. why does this crap happen cant microsoft sort it out
They have changed the way Vista reacts to hardware changes. They now have you re-activate on just about any hardware change. Cause they made that statement last year saying that a change in mobo or CPU equals a new PC. This was to try and help prevent the same copy of Vista being used on 4 or 5 different PCs. Only problem is that just about any hardware change forces you to have to reactivate Vista. Which isnt the way it is supposed to be. But it happens.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 07-19-2007, 08:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli213 View Post
This makes no sense. The same thing happens in XP just as it happens in Vista. Just a couple months ago i added 2 RAM modules and had to call M$ to reactivate my XP but not my Vista.

They have changed the way Vista reacts to hardware changes. They now have you re-activate on just about any hardware change. Cause they made that statement last year saying that a change in mobo or CPU equals a new PC. This was to try and help prevent the same copy of Vista being used on 4 or 5 different PCs. Only problem is that just about any hardware change forces you to have to reactivate Vista. Which isnt the way it is supposed to be. But it happens.
Yep. I couldn't tell you the amount of times I had to re-activate Windows XP by phone. Too many.

|Gaming PC| |Dell Latitude E7250| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 10 Pro (x64)| |Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.3 GHz| |MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X| |Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler| |Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-GAMING 5 mATX Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD| |Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-SDRAM| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 07-20-2007, 09:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

i thought it was only the motherboard, processer n hard drive that you had to reactivate cos of it changing system settings
Old 07-20-2007, 09:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Web Programmer

so if your motherboard screws up, you not only have to buy a new mobo, but a new copy of xp? or will they allow a reactivation by phone for that too?

Web Developer Portfolio
Old 07-20-2007, 09:54 AM   #10 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

wel i rang up on mine and theyt reactivated it, i never told them that i had a new motherboard or anythin i told them i couldnt activate n they gave me a new number i dont think i gave my old number in

Closed Thread