Windows 98se shutdown problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottyy360

Solid State Member
Ok in my computers class (at my tech school) a old computer came in with like a Pentium M, well it won't fully shutdown it hangs at the windows 98 is shutdown screen. So of course i did my home work and found that there was a supplement patch out so i downloaded it didn't fix my problem so i tryed everything else microsoft could offer me no luck. I have checked many other sites and no luck either the stuff they say to do you just can't do or it just plain don't work. So i was wondering if maybe anyone else has run into this problem and could help me out. Yes i already tryed to tell him to through it out no good, but its a comptuers class so we have to try and fix it. Any help?

Bios Award v4.60PGA
version JE439

this helps with startup, but you could try...

go to start -> run -> type "msconfig"

disable anything that looks bad

also,

go into the bios (F2) and make sure the PC is only booting from the hard drive, and not checking the floppy or cd-rom drive

Ok i think the cpu is at like 250mhz i'm not at school right now so i don't remember fully, but i can give you a rough idea. Has 98mb or ram i do believe and a 10GB hardrive. I have done the whole msconfig thing and disabled all that every one suggested, but with no luck it still locks down on shutdown it also sounds like the hardrive shuts itself done, but nothing else goes down. Another thing i found is that it will shutdown fully in safe mode, but not in regular.

i would just say...reformat, thats your only solution.

can you download programs to it?

if so, download crap cleaner at www.ccleaner.com
it frees up hard drive space and fixes the registry and configures the startup programs.

one step a head of you sorry forgot to mention i have already re formated and reinstalled windows 98se i'll try the crap cleaner i hope that works i just can't convince him to let it go he just wont have it i have tried everything on this dang thing.

lol if it were only that easy don't forget this is for a class, but i will try all of the following except for install windows 2000 he won't let us install anyother os but 98 cuz hes stupid and hes an old-timer so what can i say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom