Windows 98SE Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
i gotcha....

i would try xp with limited appearance features,
or windows 2000.

windows 2000 does boot from cd-rom

windows 98 does boot from the cd. back then people were use to using floppies to boot. they didn't understand booting from cd. win 98 was the first cd you could boot from

I don't know if all of them were bootable though. I know all of the second edition's were

The laptop previously had windows 2000 on it tall...good ideas though...

EB, I read an article online the other night about how some of the CD's were bootable but not all. The one I have though is not an Original I know but it was given to me.

Maybe it is im getting the GRUB error or something like that...
The linux cd will boot though when i set the bios to boot from cd...im sure there are bootable 98's out there and windows 2000 i know for certain that xp is bootable though

Do you have a Windows 2000 or Windows XP CD? You could boot from that enter the recovery console...insert then WIN98 CD while in recovery console..then type D:\setup.exe which should launch the win98 setup...Or if you have anything that will boot from the CD and get you to a command prompt would be the samething.

Very good idea, but...
The command is not recognized, Typed help for a list of supported commands, and nothing close to it. And on top of that the rom drive wont open for me to take the xp cd out.
If this would have worked what about the 15 bucks i wasted on ebay...
Good idea but it wont eject the xp cd at that point and its saying that it wont accept that command...

I tried to install xp on it just for the hell of it... the format went well, but after the reboot it gave this error..

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

The harddrive is about 19 GB i could tell because when i deleted the partitions before the fresh install i seen @ 19079 mb's of space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom