windows 98 wont instal

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizzard

Beta member
ok, i have had windows 98se installed on this pc before. but i have since installed windows xp, and xandros linux. so when i tried to instal windows 98 again, it acted like it installed perfectly, but..... when it reboooted after the install, it didnt boot. it keeps freezing on the "win98" loading screen. i have tried to reinstal several times with backup disks. any ideas on why it might do this?? what more information do you need?

so, right now you have xp and linux installed, and you're trying to install 98se?

welcome to tf btw =)

wizzard said:
ok, i have had windows 98se installed on this pc before. but i have since installed windows xp, and xandros linux. so when i tried to instal windows 98 again, it acted like it installed perfectly, but..... when it reboooted after the install, it didnt boot. it keeps freezing on the "win98" loading screen. i have tried to reinstal several times with backup disks. any ideas on why it might do this?? what more information do you need?

did you format with a 98 boot disk?

well... i have several hard drives, so.... its not as bad as it sounds. i have my OS installed on my hotswap bay, so i have to phisicaly change things to change OS. but yes, i have xp and linux installed on 2 seperate drives.

windows 98 boot disk..... i dont have a floppy drive to my name. havent for about 3 years.... but i did use the 98 disk to format the drive to fat 32. also, i have tried using linux and winxp to format it to fat32. so does that answer the questions?

oh, and ty for welcome to the forum :D glad to be aboard.

i will post system specs in my sig

Are you installing 98 on one of the 3 drives 3 10-15 gig drives.It sounds like the boot sector is getting screwed up.Can you take out the other 2 operating system hard drives while you install 98.like un plug them.And then plug them back in.Im just guessing here.I always have a pain in my ars when i use multable operating systems dont do it anymore.

ok, so i wasnt very clear.....sorry.... the way it werks is, i have xp on one o the small drives... and linux on another... they go in my mobile rack tray. only 1 at a time. so, when i install an os, there is no other os attatched to the pc. just blank. i have even went as far as to unplug all my drives except a hard drive with no partitions, and a cdrom...... so im thinking something on the motherboard MIGHT be causing it..... but im not sure...
im pretty adept at handling computers normaly. i built this 1 and all the others in the house.... but im just having a prob i dunno how to fix..... i think i tried flashing the bios already.... hmm... i think so, but wait, no this bios doest flash, its a dual, and so it resets or something instead..... not sure if this would affect it

Ive never heard of a motherboard not letting you install a OS.Are you sure the hard drive isnt failing.

ive tried to install on 3 different drives....... sounds like im outta luck. i guess there will be no windows 98 for me :( oh well, at least i still got my linux and xp

wizzard,

Have you installed any OS previously in that Hard Disk (The one in which you can't install 98 now) ?

Format it again to fat32 using XP cd and then installl win98 maybe some how you had left it on NTFS?

can you do fdisk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom