Windows 98 to Windoows 2000 conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

A_Zip1

In Runtime
yah just recently i reformated my friends computer and put windows 2000 on it [he use to have win 98] yeh so now when he goes to shut it down the computer goes through all the things like 'saving setting', 'shutting down'.. and all that but then its like 'It is now safe to turn your computer off' and like usually it would shut of on its own with his windows 98... normally this wouldnt be a problem BUT when he presses the power button when its sais 'It is now safe to turn off ur computer' the computer doesnt turn off or anything... so yeh this is an EXTREME hassle (having to like pull the plug outa the computer just to turn it off) but yeh i dont think its the power button becuz u can use it to turn on the computer... so yeh i dunno if thiers any settings to make it so it just shuts down automatically when u get to the 'It is now safe to turn your computer of' screen... or if ya guyz know of any thing that could help it would be apreciated...

Hey so i am just reading your email and i thought that you might look in the Bios and set the power settings to "Instant Off" instead of "10 sec/ soft off" So the power button will work right away Eh, and if you really want to fix it so it shut down right probably a bios update will do the trick bet it is a pII machine right cuz the PII boards usually need that fix in the power management

Try it in the bios. It may also depend what PSU you are using too, cuz a friend of mine has IBM PC and it doesnt turn off 'til a minute after even with the bios modification. Have to look into that

Well, the power button issue could be that the button isn't being pressed long enough. If the button works when you turn on the pc then it'll work 99% of the time when you turn it off. Try it. Instead of just pressing the button, hold it in until the power goes off. Or hold it in for about 7 seconds and then let go, either way it should turn off.
To completely fix the problem, the BIOS needs to be upgraded. This wasn't a problem with 98 and that makes total sense. This is a problem with many BIOS revisions for 2000 and XP. The problem is the BIOS version isn't a ACPI compatable version. Or the BIOS could be an ACPI BIOS, but not a high enough version for Microsoft. The ACPI (Advanced Configuration/Control Power Interface) version for that BIOS (Award, Pheonix, etc.) should be listed on Microsoft's website under their HCL.
Unfortunatly, once the BIOS is flashed with the ACPI version that is on Microsoft's Hardware Compatability List, the entire OS needs to be reinstalled overtop of the newly flashed ACPI BIOS version.

-Michael

Ewww.. LoL... i had win98... then i put win2000 on that comp... then i thought the whole having to hold the button down for 7 seconds to turn off my comp everytime was gay... so i whent back to win98... now i still have to hold the button down for 7 seconds... so in the words of a very funny flash animation i saw 'and australia was like WTF MATE'... haha

powering off

:eek: try holding the power switch in...(dont release it)... the computer should shut itself off in about 5-10 seconds...
most newer model computers are designed that way to prevent (accidental) bump of the power switch .

hope this helps...
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom