Windows 98 on upgraded hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgefn

Beta member
Upgraded an old computer with new motherboard, and processor. Windows 98 is now very twitchy with irregular performance. For example the system will not restart in DOS mode and no dos based games will function. Any ideas on problem ?? I'm thinking about re-installing windows 98 to give the software a chance to recognize all the new hardware properly. Cheers....George (Vancouver Island)

All Windows OS systems, 98 and on, required a reinstall when you do major hardware reconstruction. Drivers conflict hell. Since all pre xp OS's have direct hardware access protocols (not Kernal/HAL access in XP which is why dos based games go down in flames in XP) is the explnaation for why your dos based games are toasty!!! Frankly, I'm surprised the OS loaded at all!!!

I don't know if 98 has "repair" I'll check. Otherwise it looks like a re-install is the way to go. Cheers...George

98 does not have a "repair" feature. Anything keeping you from ugprading it to a newer version? 98 is really not an ideal OS to use anymore, although it is still the most used among non-techies.

Nothing special about 98, just the cost barrier prevents an immediate upgrade to XP. I'll do it eventually but for now it's the kid's computer and they don't care less as long as it runs Dos based games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom