windows 98...upgrade help

Status
Not open for further replies.

prash78

Baseband Member
hi, i work in a small office and my boss wants to buy a laser printer for a computer which runs windows 98. I've looked into this and found the printer supports windoes 98 second edition. On checking on the office computer (going into my computer then about windows) it doesnt mention what version or say SE. so i'll assume what they have is 98 first edition.However I did notice there are USB ports on the computer and they work.
Which is strange cos i thought usb needed 98SE or higher to work. is it possible to upgrade to 98SE from 98? will i need a full 98SE edition or upgrade? its been years since i even touched 98. I did recommend they get a new PC but the lady who uses it loves 98.

thanks for the advice. I dont think they have the original win98 licence code tho. will they need the existing licence number if they choose to upgrade?

No, upgrades come with their own licenses. It will be a pain to find, legally or otherwise.

windows is not as picky with windows 98 than XP,

they dont really care if 5 people share one 98 license, but with xp, you cant share licenses.

That's the part of Windows XP that I really hate. That's why i'm still using Windows 98 Second Edition on my computer. And by the way, most copies of Windows 95 didn't come with USB support at first but in the later versions, Microsoft started selling versions of the operating system that did support USB. You'll be able to find these out real easily by looking at the text imprinted on the CD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom