Windows 98 upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebleakness

Banned
I was supposed to get windows XP pro for my computer but that deal fell through so i am stuck without an OS for my new computer. What i can do is install windows 98 that i do own and then use the windows upgrade to XP home edition. Will this cause any problems with my computer (in sig)? Should i wait and get XP pro and is there much of a difference between the two to justify getting the pro? Thanks for the help.

Cant you just put the XP Upgrade CD in first like your gona install it, then it will ask you to put a diff. windows CD in (your 98 CD) to verify that you have an old copy of windows? That way you dont have to do TWO installs. I think you would end up getting a cleaner install of XP that way anyway, instead of installing XP over 98. Thats they way I used to do it when installing windows 98 on my old computer, the 98 CD was just an upgrade so it would tell me to put my 95 CD in just to verify that I owned a full copy of windows. Saves a lota time atleast.

And can you even use XP Upgrade with something as old as 98? I mean I thought M$ made it so you had to have a newer verstion of windows like ME or 2000 to be able to upgrade. That way you have to fully buy one every once in a while to be able to have a copy to upgrade from. Otherwise ppl could of bought Win 95 or something back in the day and keep upgrading for cheap off it? I dunno.

Do as Tro1086 said and install XP like its a full version and just verify your Windows 98 CD. It will be quicker to install that way and it will also run signifficantly better than if you were to install XP Pro over a DOS based operating system like Windows 98. You would also have to convert your file system to NTFS, which wouldn't run as well as having it NFTS to begin with.

Oopes, oh well. I started installing already and it too about 2 minutes to install windows 98 anyways. Ill try this first and if i dont get good results, ill take it off and start anew.

I have 98 installed but it wont go past the booting screen. Its been on it for a while and nothing changed. Could it possibly be that it wont run on my system?

I would think Win 98 Should run on pretty much anything? Unless you need to do something special for the RAID setup or the Optron processor or something. Maybe just a bad install? I know installing windows ME on my old machine would give me a BSOD every time I installed it from a fresh format (just gues to show how shitty ME is, gives you BSOD before its even installed!!! god that makes me laugh)

If you cant get it to boot I would just say wipe the drive again and start with the XP CD first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom