Windows 98 Shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleJ0601

Solid State Member
I rebuilt a system with Windows 98 and now upon selecting either Start - Shutdown or Start - Restart, the system goes into a state of starting the process. The monitor goes blank and nothing is visible but it just hangs there. Not powering down. I have to push the power button. I've tried the power options settings. But to no avail. Can someone help with some ideas?

First thing to check is that there are no conflicts or other problems reported in device manager.
If it all looks OK then :

At the Run command, type msconfig
Click on the advanced button & make sure that the 'disable fast shutdowns' option is ticked
If it is, then back on the first page of msconfig, select the 'selective startup' option & untick all the boxes below it.
Reboot windows for this to take effect then try shutting it down again.
If this solves the problem, then go back into msconfig & re-enable the first item (ie config.sys).
Reboot & shutdown again.
If it shutsdown OK, re-enable the next item in the list & so on.
When you find which one is causing the problem, go to the relevant tab in msconfig & deselect each entry in there.
You will then need to enable each entry one at a time (after each reboot) til you find which one is causing the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom