Windows 98 SE administrative functions

Status
Not open for further replies.

piggysmile

In Runtime
How do I enable administrative functions under Win98SE? (eg. disabling displaying the Display Properties at the Control Panel for non-administrative users)

yes it does. in fact it restricts a normal user from opening Display Properties and User Profile from the Control Panel. It doesnt even have the Find command in the Start Menu.

I was also surprised that 98 has these admin stuff. Maybe our school technician has tweaked or installed a non-registry program that does that.

I just definitely have no idea how that became possible.

You have to do this through the user setup in the Control Panel. You can have multiple users on the box (as I'm sure you know) and each of them can have different access rights to the system (ie - some can be admins, while others are just "Standard Users").

If you have a user on your box that you don't want to give the right for them to install software, etc, then you need to lower their user-account access rights.

However, in 98SE you don't have NEARLY as much control over the users as you do in later systems (NT, 2000, and especially XP).

If you have a setup where you absolutely must keep control, then I would suggest upgrading to 2000 (you can't buy NT anymore or get it supported by MS anymore, so 2000 is the least you can get.)

Oh yes. The guy doesn't know how to setup his user accounts, and you want to send him on a registry witch-hunt. Good one. I'll get the pop-corn.

Thanks to you guys. Now I know what our school techie did.

Registry->HKEY_CURRENT_USERS->Software->Microsoft->Windows->Current Version->Policies->System-> then add DWORD NoDisplayCPL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom