windows 98 reinstall without cdrom drivers??? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 11:09 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master Techie

It can only be created on nt/2k/xp. But it will run on anything, but anyway... Here is another download that will work for you. Just run the program and this will create a windows 98se boot disk. It's really straight forward and there are no issues, well that I have seen anyway...
Click the URL and then select any of the 98SE or ME disks. They all support CDrom boot.
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
Once you download it, put a floppy disk in the drive, and then run the program (from the harddrive, not the floppy). This will give you a few prompts and you will need to just click thought them. it is really easy this time I promise.

I hope this works for you...

Old 07-19-2004, 11:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I've already done this...I have my bootdisk created from win98se from the same sight. I then put it in computer and reboot it to boot the floppy, it goes through the startup process of boot floppy, but doesn't recognize the cdrom. I can't boot into hard drive, because my hard drives are completely empty...they've been formatted.

Old 07-20-2004, 10:00 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master Techie

the way that this boot disk works is by using a predefined Driver name. You need to change the values in the config.sys and autoexec.bat to reflect that driver. where the word banana appears is where your driver name goes. Also make sure that it is on the floppy, or what good is it...

BTW, Use notepad to edit the files.

let me know what happens of if you need more help...

And then there is using the windows ME bootdisk too. it should work, but if not, it's for the same reasons as above...
Old 07-20-2004, 08:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Well... I finally got it to work. I attached slave of primary ide cable to cdrom and disconnected 2nd hard drive and cdwriter and rebooted with 98se bootdisk and it recognized the cdrom and I began the win98 install procedure. YEAHH!!!! For now anyway. Thanks for all your help... I'm sure I will have more questions in the future.

Closed Thread