Windows 98 program compatability

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeOldfield

Beta member
Well, my PC used to be quite fast, but in it's old age and a lot of use, it's speed has degraded quite a bit, so I'm going to hopefully degrade it from Windows XP to Windows 98 SE, but I have a slight problem.

I have copies of programs such as Adobe Photoshop CS2 and Microsoft Office 2003 Professional, but according to the specifications, I can't run these on Windows 98.

Is there any possible way of getting these applications to run? Such as maybe installing some sort of runtime package or something that gives the functionality required?

I've used Linux before, and I do like it, however, it really messes up my computer. I don't know what it is, but it doesn't seem to like it.

I'd rather just stick with Windows. But that wasn't my question. I knew someone was going to say that.

Well, when MS released Office 2003 in Beta, they were EXTREMELY harsh on the fact that they would never support it on Windows 98SE. Minimum supported is Windows 2000 SP3. Have you thought about Windows 2000?

Yes, actually.

I've used Windows 2000 Professional on my really old machine before. I'm not too sure about other compatabilities for general home use though, as from what I remember, 2000 Professional was created mainly for businesses.

From what I understand though, Windows Millenium Edition (ME) is just another name for Windows 2000 Standard. Would Windows Millenium Edition support these applications, if they state Windows 2000 on the specifications?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom