Windows 98 problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

snopro879

Baseband Member
ok i duno if you guys can help or not, i have an old compaq 6000 pent. pro, came with a scsi drive, i formated it and cant get windows back on it, but i dont want to i have small quantium hd, with windows 98, but, the computer will not read the hard drive, it says something about trying to start windows 98 then it says could contain possible virus and w/e. i cant get into bios (f10 didnt work, it jsut said keyboard error), im guessing its only looking for a scsi drive, can someone help me so that i can make it detect the hd with win 98 on it? thanks:mad:

What i think he is trying to say is that he formatted his scsi drive that had windows 98 and he cant install it again. So he has an ide drive in which has 98 on it but wont work/ not being detected.

My first question would be why cant you get 98 on the scsi drive? Can you please tell us exactly what happens when you try to install windows 98? And for the new hard drive it is probably not being detected because your cables are in backwards or loose and not all connectors are touching one an other!

well when i try to put it on the scsi it says needs atleast (i forgot the numbers)mb of free space to install, and then the sentence gets cut off a freezes, but i want to put it on the quantium drive because its a 7 gig, compared to the 4 gig scsi.

HD Particions?

Sounds like investing into a new computer would be best, but:

If the HD says anything about windows 98 after you "formatted," then it sounds like there was a partition on your HD what did not get formatted, inwhich case you will have to format again, making sure that you format all partitions on the HD, it will tell you what partitions are on the drive.

Hope this helps,

Blake

snopro879 said:
....the computer will not read the hard drive, it says something about trying to start windows 98 then it says could contain possible virus and w/e....

Is it trying to actually start windows 98 like you've installed it and you're getting ready to enter the desktop OR is it trying to start windows 98 setup. If it's trying to start win98 setup and it's saying something about a boot sector virus, it's because BIOS manufacturers put a virus protector on the BIOS, especially boot virus protection, and since Windows is an OS and needs to edit that part of the hard drive you need to enter the BIOS and disable the BIOS Antivirus.

Also, instead of using F10 to enter bios try F1, F2 or DEL

F2 and DEL are the most common keys that I know of on most computers.

i cant format, i typed in fdisk and it said no fixed disks present, but yet its saying trying to start win 98 so i duno where it would be gettin the idea to start "win98" if it wasnt readin it on the hard drive. Im kind of clueless on what to do, and this is just an old comp layin around that i want to get running, im on pretty decient computer right now, this old ones more for learning purposes. thanks

Did you try a boot disk?

First of all if the boot sector is bad on your HD you will not be able to use it as master but can use it as slave. If yoou want to get your system up so that you can get to the BIOS then make a boot disk. Go to www.bootdisk.com and I believe the first on is for Win98. Of course you have to do it on another machine since yours is trashed for the moment. Also with some older motherboards you can boot from a video card although I have only recently read of that and dont deal with older computers myself. There is a discussion on that over at www.techspot.com
I believe it is in the CPU MOtherboard forum or the Windows OS forum, I just read it yesterday.
I am assuming also that F10 is the correct key to enter the BIOS
and if that is the case you may have trashed youor BIOS since the keyboard is the first device selected on a boot so if your BIOS is really fried perhaps it cant even initiate your keyboard. You may need a new BIOS if this is the case go to www.badflash.com
they are cheap and helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom