Windows 98 network drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I were you, I'd get a LiveCD Linux distribution such as Knoppix, Puppy Linux, **** Small Linux, or Ubuntu. I recommend Ubuntu because it's most like Windows, but it's also a full fledged distribution, so it takes the longest to load. You can boot from the above CD's without any installation.

If you want, remove your desktop's hard drive and just connect the laptop one. Boot from the Ubuntu CD. Once you're at the Ubuntu Linux desktop, click the Places tab, then select Computer. You should see an icon of the laptop's hard drive. Click that to open the contents. Now you can go to Firefox, download the drivers to the Ubuntu desktop (in RAM), then copy the drivers to your laptop hard drive. Shut down the PC, remove the hard drive, put back in the laptop, boot up. Look for the NAME, not the letter, as Linux does not use drive letters like Windows does (it uses /dev/hda, b, c, d, etc for drives, hda1, 2, 3 for partitions).

I left this part out. I meant to tell you to do the exact same thing only I was going to say use a bart pe cd or erd commander 2005 to download the USB driver (you can do the networks driver too) to your hdd.

I've heard you needed official XP CD's and such to make those BartPE CD's or somehow do extra work. I find that using an Ubuntu CD (which comes with excellent partition editor, the Nautilus file browser (which closely resembles Windows Explorer), Firefox with network drivers, and other useful utilities) is the easiest thing...though I also installed Ubuntu on my PC after trying out the CD, but even for Windows fixes I always use Linux live CD's...I used DSL Linux on my laptop to delete a particularly troublesome virus that wouldn't allow Windows to delete it.

I've heard you needed official XP CD's and such to make those BartPE CD's or somehow do extra work. I find that using an Ubuntu CD (which comes with excellent partition editor, the Nautilus file browser (which closely resembles Windows Explorer), Firefox with network drivers, and other useful utilities) is the easiest thing...though I also installed Ubuntu on my PC after trying out the CD, but even for Windows fixes I always use Linux live CD's...I used DSL Linux on my laptop to delete a particularly troublesome virus that wouldn't allow Windows to delete it.

bart pe kills linux discs.

it's in a window environment. most window users don't understand Linux.
it can do a system restore and make an unbootable computer work again.

the password renew plugin program kill any password reset tool that linux have. for instance if you don't any user name on the computer, the reset tool is useless. renew will name all user name on any hdd
(this is useful for changin a password on a password protect laptop hdd that was taken out of a laptop put in a usb module because that laptop couldn't boot from cd ). it also will let you create a new administrative account.

you don't have to know any crazy code to to work PE.

you can burn cd, delete virus, clone drives, restore images with pe. the list goes on and on

You also need a real Windows CD to make a Bart PE CD. Unfortunately, more and more system providers (HP, Dell, etc) ship PC's with either no CD's at all or so-called "Recovery CD's" that don't work as real Windows CD's.

On the other hand, Linux (Ubuntu) is free and easy to burn the CD. The environment masks the typical terminal commands of Linux with a nice GUI. It is good for a lot of stuff, I guess you can't delete or renew Windows passwords with it, but for hard drive work, it works fine.

If you have any idea how to burn Bart PE CD's from Recovery CD's, I'd like to know, because I would like to make one. As far as I know, torrenting an XP CD is illegal even if you have the CD-key, but I'm not sure on that. I'd like to replace my Recovery CD's with real XP discs.

every computer that doesn't come with an xp cd has an I386 folder on their C drive. that's the xp cd.

I showed plenty of people how to copy that folder to another hard drive then boot with a bart pe disc and head to the winnt.exe file. they can now install xp without a xp cd. shoot you can leave that i386 folder on the c drive, delete every other folder on the c drive with the bart cd and reinstall xp. You should be able to make a bart pe cd with the folder too. I'm going to try it

If you have any idea how to burn Bart PE CD's from Recovery CD's, I'd like to know, because I would like to make one. As far as I know, torrenting an XP CD is illegal even if you have the CD-key, but I'm not sure on that. I'd like to replace my Recovery CD's with real XP discs.

torrenting and xp cd isn't illegal as you paid for the serial. bart pe is freeware so have a disc courtesy of me. it has a million plugins. extract with winrar, then burn the iso.

Bart PE Disc

Thanks, I downloaded it, will burn when I get time, I'll also get a real XP CD (Recovery CD's, although nice, don't provide partition options so it's a mess to dual boot from one hard drive).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom