windows 98 installation error

Status
Not open for further replies.

buzzedbunny

Solid State Member
Well i just formated and low-level formated my hard drive and am trying to instal windows 98 se so i can then use the windows xp upgrade. But every time after the scan says it needs however many bytes of memory to install windows 98 se it says "insert disk with batch file." plz help me guys ive been trying to fix my comp for 2 whole days now

You should still be able to install windows XP upgrade without having windows 98 on it first. Boot your computer with the XP cd in the drive (make sure your boot order is set to have the CDROM boot before the Hard Drive). During teh XP installation, it should then ask you to provide proof that you are performing an upgrade. At that point you insert your 98 CD... it says ok, you put the XP cd back... and you've got Windows XP.

Hope this works for u.

i know but i mean its just an upgrade. doesnt it need like a full version of windows to be installed 1st. Its only an upgrade not the whole thing. PLz help me out

Regardless, whether its upgrade or a full version - all the windows XP files are still on the CD. Windows 98 and Windows XP are not the same. The new installation of windows XP is not going to use the same OS files as windows 98. The only thing that may happen here is that some settings and things like 'favorites' and your documents will still be available once installed.

Installing it from the CD will give you the option for a fresh install without the windows 98 junk still on there.

THe XP upgrade is going to have the same files as the 'full version'. The only reason it's upgrade is to sell it for cheaper. Try it. it should work.

If your cd is not bootable, you can download windows XP setup boot disks from microsofts website
How to obtain Windows XP Setup boot disks

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom