windows 98 boot problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Compnewb

Solid State Member
Hi, after fixing my NTLDR missing error im now stuck in DOS mode (i think).. What happens is the windows 98 loading screen flashes then dissapears....

Whats going on and how do i fix it?

Do i need to reinstall windows 98 =[ not a good thing as id like to keep whats on the hd and i dont have the install CD =[

You shouldn't have an NTLDR file error in Windows 98. What probably happened is the GUI is not set to boot within your MSDOS.SYS file. First, try typing "WIN" without the quotes. If that works, edit your MSDOS.SYS file to include the line BootGUI=1. Then, Windows should boot.

Your idea that the gui thing isnt working makes sense..

This is a more detailed version what happens and what ive done to fix it so far.(tried doing anyway).

Computer boots up and flashes the Windows 98 load screen for 2 seconds

The computer then returns to dos/command screen and it says
Microsot Windows 98 blah blah..like it recognized it

then on the next line it says

C:\

i can search directories and it seems like everything is there.

I have tried "exit" and "WIN"...nothing happens.. "exit" doesnt return bad command name but it also doesnt do anything..just skips to next line.

I have tried booting to a boot disk and have done fdisk/mbr aswell as sys c: ..both do nothing.

So you GUI thing seems to make sense since evrything seems to work but it just wont load the winodws GUI..it defaults to dos.

so how do I (if i even can), edit the msdos.sys file from dos? or can i replace that one by one i can download of the net? or soemthign?

Thx for any further help :D.

Type "edit" (without quotes) at the prompt, that should bring you to the ms-dos editor. From the file menu, navigate to your c: and you should see that file there. Simply open, and make your adjustments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom