Windows 98?

Status
Not open for further replies.

objecterror

Daemon Poster
My grandfather has windows 98, and for the most part it's on a slower PC which makes fixing it a real pain. Well, I did some optimization for him, disk defrag(i know he doesn't do this on a regular basis) and a scan disk. I didn't have things like spyware removal tools or anything else for that matter with me, but, for the most part after some cleaning it was running better.

A problem he introduced me to however was internet explorer, when i clicked it to open, it popped up an error report. I found the installation file and reinstalled IE 5 to his system, after rebooting it popped up a fatal error occurred and IE must be shut down. Now, while I'm not a stranger to these kinds of problems, i didn't have half of the diagnostic software to fix it, that and the fact that his machine is older running disk defrag took two hours.

I want to ask, is there anything i can walk him through over the phone to fix his problem? I highly doubt he has anything like spyware removal available and the windows 98 disk to reformat his pc either.

Download a copy of AVG and the setup files for IE 6. If you can get an older release of the free version of AVG that should run on 98 easy enough. That and the setup file for IE 6 would have to saved to a cd-r to see those run on the 98 machine.

IE 6 will upgrade it out the reinstallation problems being seen being a newer browser. IE 7 won't run on 98 since that is for XP and Vista. Once you get the system online you can run a few online scanners as well as download programs like Ad-Aware to sweep the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom