Windows 98/98se/Me/2k Essensals Program List

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about a decent codec pack? I know its not strictly essential but then neither are winrar or acrobat reader. Also Java and flash.

Your right about JAVA. I have lost count the number of time I get a phone call the day after from a customer that uses St. George Online Banking.
I normally give them directions to download java. And then they give me a blasting because my mind reading ability did not work out that they use St. George Banking.

The problem that I having with Java and Flash is that I need to get an older version of it. I am currently on the Java site, and the only think that have is for Win2k/Xp/Vista. [EDIT]Found a Version 5 that should work under Win98[/EDIT]

I got a feeling that I am going to have the same problem with Flash.[EDIT]The current version of flash will work on Win 9x environments. However my problem that I have having in that i need a network install. Every time i got to adobe's website, it want to install on this computer and not save the install[/EDIT]

Anyways, this CD is coming allong great.

I got the following
Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0
Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.0
Avast AntiVirus
Direct X 9.0c
Dot Net 2.0 Framework
DVD Region Free
Ghost 2003
Internet Explorer 6.0
Java 5
Java 6
Open GL 2
Open Office 2.0
Partition Magic
Ulead DVD Player
Windows 98 Shut down patch
Windows 2000 SP4
WIndows 2000 SP4 Rollup 1
Windows Installer 2.0
Windows Installer 3.1
Windows Media Player 9.0
WinRar
WinZip

Network Card Driver
- Realtek 10-100 Network Adaptor
- Netgear FA120 USB 2.0 Ethernet Adapter (part of my tool kit)
- Netgear FA311 PCI Network Adaptor
External Hard Drive Driver
- Welland USB Firewire Win98 Drivers
VGA / Chipset
- Win3id (It's a useful tool when it comes down to identifying S3 video cards)

Boot Disk Creators
- DOS.6.21
- Win 98
- Win 98se
- Win Me

So far it's about 689Mb, however i do know that I am going to need to get some Intel Network Card Drivers. And I know that they have been rather big. However considering that I need Intel Network Drivers for 98/Me/2k/Xp/Vista, i might just make an entire CD with nothing more than Intel Network Drivers.

How about a decent codec pack? I know its not strictly essential but then neither are winrar or acrobat reader. Also Java and flash.

I will keep the codec pack in mind if i got the space afterwards. I would like to keep every thing on one cd if possible. Partition Magic and Ghost 2003 is going to be the first to go if I need the space. Keep in mind, I am only thier to service their computer. Unless they are paying me extra for it (rarely they do) I am not there to install every program under the sun.

We provide Adobe Acrobat Reader so that they can open our invoices when we email it to them.

I would suggest WinRar over WinZip. It can do more file types and is more widely used. WinZip is a great app but it nags you when the 30 days is over with. ;)

I would suggest WinRar over WinZip. It can do more file types and is more widely used. WinZip is a great app but it nags you when the 30 days is over with. ;)
Believe me. If I had my way, I would have WinRar over WinZip. However WinZip is still much more populare with end users. As for my version of win zip, it's a version 8.some thing that still works under vista and it does not nag you.

One thing that I have learnt a long time ago with end users is that you give them some thing new and different, it freaks them out. Last thing i want is getting a phone call where some one has RARed a folder to email over to a friend, and then I am getting a phone called from that client saying that thier freind can not open the attatched file.

Don't forget, I am dealing with end users here and my time is money.

Heh, winrar isn't as popular as we'd all like it to be. I nearly fell of my chair last year when I sent a mate a .rar file and he didn't know how to open it...The guy is system/network/database admin for a small web dev company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom