Windows 98/98se/Me/2k Essensals Program List - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 07:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Imperial Space Womble

Default Re: Windows 98/98se/Me/2k Essensals Program List

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCoffee View Post
How about a decent codec pack? I know its not strictly essential but then neither are winrar or acrobat reader. Also Java and flash.
Your right about JAVA. I have lost count the number of time I get a phone call the day after from a customer that uses St. George Online Banking.
I normally give them directions to download java. And then they give me a blasting because my mind reading ability did not work out that they use St. George Banking.

The problem that I having with Java and Flash is that I need to get an older version of it. I am currently on the Java site, and the only think that have is for Win2k/Xp/Vista. [EDIT]Found a Version 5 that should work under Win98[/EDIT]

I got a feeling that I am going to have the same problem with Flash.[EDIT]The current version of flash will work on Win 9x environments. However my problem that I have having in that i need a network install. Every time i got to adobe's website, it want to install on this computer and not save the install[/EDIT]

Anyways, this CD is coming allong great.

I got the following
Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0
Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.0
Avast AntiVirus
Direct X 9.0c
Dot Net 2.0 Framework
DVD Region Free
Ghost 2003
Internet Explorer 6.0
Java 5
Java 6
Open GL 2
Open Office 2.0
Partition Magic
Ulead DVD Player
Windows 98 Shut down patch
Windows 2000 SP4
WIndows 2000 SP4 Rollup 1
Windows Installer 2.0
Windows Installer 3.1
Windows Media Player 9.0
WinRar
WinZip

Network Card Driver
- Realtek 10-100 Network Adaptor
- Netgear FA120 USB 2.0 Ethernet Adapter (part of my tool kit)
- Netgear FA311 PCI Network Adaptor
External Hard Drive Driver
- Welland USB Firewire Win98 Drivers
VGA / Chipset
- Win3id (It's a useful tool when it comes down to identifying S3 video cards)

Boot Disk Creators
- DOS.6.21
- Win 98
- Win 98se
- Win Me

So far it's about 689Mb, however i do know that I am going to need to get some Intel Network Card Drivers. And I know that they have been rather big. However considering that I need Intel Network Drivers for 98/Me/2k/Xp/Vista, i might just make an entire CD with nothing more than Intel Network Drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCoffee View Post
How about a decent codec pack? I know its not strictly essential but then neither are winrar or acrobat reader. Also Java and flash.
I will keep the codec pack in mind if i got the space afterwards. I would like to keep every thing on one cd if possible. Partition Magic and Ghost 2003 is going to be the first to go if I need the space. Keep in mind, I am only thier to service their computer. Unless they are paying me extra for it (rarely they do) I am not there to install every program under the sun.

We provide Adobe Acrobat Reader so that they can open our invoices when we email it to them.

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!" -- Rob Zombie
Main Rig - AMD FX-8350x8 4.0Ghz CPU, 4x 8Gb (32Gb) DDR3 Ram, Gigabyte GA-970A-D3, GeForce GT 970 4Gb, 1x 256Gb SSD\8Tb (3+2+2+1) SATA HDD, DVDRW, SB X-Fi, Win 10 (64-bit)
Asus N61JV-JX231V - Intel Core i5 3437u (1.9 - 2.4 GHz), 12GB, 640GB, 16" Display, nVidia 325M 1Gb, DVD-RW, Win 10 (64-bit)
Mobile Phone : Samsung Galaxy 5 Note SM-N920IConsole : Play Station 4
Old 05-21-2008, 09:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

I would suggest WinRar over WinZip. It can do more file types and is more widely used. WinZip is a great app but it nags you when the 30 days is over with.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 05-21-2008, 09:21 PM   #13 (permalink)
Imperial Space Womble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli213 View Post
I would suggest WinRar over WinZip. It can do more file types and is more widely used. WinZip is a great app but it nags you when the 30 days is over with.
Believe me. If I had my way, I would have WinRar over WinZip. However WinZip is still much more populare with end users. As for my version of win zip, it's a version 8.some thing that still works under vista and it does not nag you.

One thing that I have learnt a long time ago with end users is that you give them some thing new and different, it freaks them out. Last thing i want is getting a phone call where some one has RARed a folder to email over to a friend, and then I am getting a phone called from that client saying that thier freind can not open the attatched file.

Don't forget, I am dealing with end users here and my time is money.

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!" -- Rob Zombie
Main Rig - AMD FX-8350x8 4.0Ghz CPU, 4x 8Gb (32Gb) DDR3 Ram, Gigabyte GA-970A-D3, GeForce GT 970 4Gb, 1x 256Gb SSD\8Tb (3+2+2+1) SATA HDD, DVDRW, SB X-Fi, Win 10 (64-bit)
Asus N61JV-JX231V - Intel Core i5 3437u (1.9 - 2.4 GHz), 12GB, 640GB, 16" Display, nVidia 325M 1Gb, DVD-RW, Win 10 (64-bit)
Mobile Phone : Samsung Galaxy 5 Note SM-N920IConsole : Play Station 4
Old 05-21-2008, 09:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Wow. Even my family of illeriate PC people use WinRar...

So very ture though. They are afraid of change for soem reason...

But for the most part have all the basics covered. Media, PDF, Office stuff, and so on. I really dont htink there is much more than can be done. Other than a firewall.

Turn out there is Zone Alarm 4.5 or Outpost you could get.

Check Point ZoneAlarm

Outpost Firewall Free

Info came from:

Windows 98 firewall suggestions - CNET Windows 95/98 Forums

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 05-24-2008, 10:05 AM   #15 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Heh, winrar isn't as popular as we'd all like it to be. I nearly fell of my chair last year when I sent a mate a .rar file and he didn't know how to open it...The guy is system/network/database admin for a small web dev company.

XFX HD4890
Noctua nh-u12p
Corsair HX520
Antec 300
Samsung 1TB F1 Spinpoint
Samsung SM2443BW 24"
Closed Thread