Windows 8 Upgrade

I dont think windows 8 will do very well.
i think its much to much of a change from the good system that Microsoft has with Windows 7. but then i suppose that Microsoft had to so something with it otherwise there'd be nothing for windows devs to do except update windows 7 for the latest hardware ect ect.

but then maybe its time for a change, after all we've all been used to the way windows is for so long, maybe its limiting us and we just dont know it, maybe Windows 8 will be a god send.

I thought they were dropping support for 7 in 2015, no? Or maybe that was 2017.

Anyway, 7 isn't going anywhere.
support.jpg

Mainstream support is basically pre-builts and laptops wont be selling with the OS anymore. Actual support from programs will be quite a while. WIndows XP mainstream support ended in 2009 and programs still support XP.

I'm sure that is what the plan is, however just like the business world wouldn't let them get away with end of support for xp in 2012 (or whatever date they had), they won't get away with end of support in win 7 by 2020. Most large businesses who've upgraded from XP skipped vista and went to 7, so I would guess its going to go the same way, no?

@PP: Yeah, that's what I thought to be 2015.

Many businesses I know are moving away from XP because of the support closing and software/hardware is far outdated. Plus the security holes.

@PP: Yeah, that's what I thought to be 2015.

Many businesses I know are moving away from XP because of the support closing and software/hardware is far outdated. Plus the security holes.

I was under the impression that MS had initially posted an earlier date for end-of-life of xp but that they started receiving a lot of flak from the business world over it. I just looked it up and turns out MS has been saying 2014 since 2008. Also the dispute was over the end of shelf/oem availability from consumers and oem's.

Now thinking of it, something happened where I worked, corporate was afraid to move to 7 because of all the problems that can happen during migration. My boss was told by them not to do it until they've thoroughly tested scenarios. It was funny because my boss just did his own testing, and went ahead with deployment on his own... it turned out to be so easy that he wrote up proceedures and gave it to corporate, who turned around and gave his instructions for every other location to do it. They never gave him proper credit. They made it seem like it came from them, my boss wasn't happy about that.

Last edited:
People need to get over this whole "Start Menu" and Desktop thing. There is no Start Menu on any phone or tablet in the world. There is no such thing as a desktop on any phone or tablet in the world. There is a Home Screen, which is exactly what the Start Screen is.

Plus the fact is that games are supported and run just fine with Windows 8. All of those articles about Windows 8 being bad for gaming, is just that authors opinion. It holds no facts. I have played Skyrim on Windows 8 with no issues at all.

In a couple years time when Linux and Apple join in on this whole aspect of getting rid of "Desktops" and go with something more stream lined like all the other devices out there people will change their tone. There is nothing wrong with Windows 8. People are just so upset at the lose of a 25 years old item that they cant stand to even try to learn something new.

No Windows 8 will not fail. It already has tons of backing from lots of people. Go to the Answers Site from Microsoft or BetaNews and see the topics and polls for yourself. There is already close to 40-50% of current PC users that have already stated they are going to go to Win8 when it is released. Far greater backing than Windows 7 or Windows Vista before it. So to call it a failure before it is even released to the public, is flat out wrong cause you have no proof to back such a statement. As everything online in regards to user reactions states that there is going to be a higher adaptation of Win8 than any version previously. Including Windows XP.

So do whatever you folks want. I already said it was my personal opinion that I am upgrading. No where did I say that anyone had to do what I said or give reasons why they were not. This is not about you but answering a question that was asked by the person who created the thread.

People need to get over this whole "Start Menu" and Desktop thing. There is no Start Menu on any phone or tablet in the world. There is no such thing as a desktop on any phone or tablet in the world. There is a Home Screen, which is exactly what the Start Screen is.

Plus the fact is that games are supported and run just fine with Windows 8. All of those articles about Windows 8 being bad for gaming, is just that authors opinion. It holds no facts. I have played Skyrim on Windows 8 with no issues at all.

In a couple years time when Linux and Apple join in on this whole aspect of getting rid of "Desktops" and go with something more stream lined like all the other devices out there people will change their tone. There is nothing wrong with Windows 8. People are just so upset at the lose of a 25 years old item that they cant stand to even try to learn something new.

No Windows 8 will not fail. It already has tons of backing from lots of people. Go to the Answers Site from Microsoft or BetaNews and see the topics and polls for yourself. There is already close to 40-50% of current PC users that have already stated they are going to go to Win8 when it is released. Far greater backing than Windows 7 or Windows Vista before it. So to call it a failure before it is even released to the public, is flat out wrong cause you have no proof to back such a statement. As everything online in regards to user reactions states that there is going to be a higher adaptation of Win8 than any version previously. Including Windows XP.

So do whatever you folks want. I already said it was my personal opinion that I am upgrading. No where did I say that anyone had to do what I said or give reasons why they were not. This is not about you but answering a question that was asked by the person who created the thread.
Sorry mate, my computer is not a ****ing phone or tab. So therefor, I don't want it to look like one. I also don't use a touch screen, I have a mouse and keyboard. I don't need it to be easier to click on items because they are large useless boxes on my screen.

And I did answer the OP with my opinion.

Hey, dude, chill lol. I'd say some people's opinions here have not been based on much experience with it, but I would also say that many people gave some decent feedback to the person who asked the question... if we all said "yes do it because its receiving great support from most of the tech world" than there wouldn't be much differentiating people who post here from people on apple websites who encourage everyone to buy every single iPhone or iPad upgrade, right? I'm not saying that's what you are doing, because I know you've used it as have I. Dooming it to failure is silly I agree, but not everyone did that. Those who did, did so purely because of a reputation MS has of not always getting it right.

Personally, I think they've done some good things with it, but they are also making from what I have decided to be at least one major mistake. They are pushing BING and Hotmail too much. Although you can set things up for google if you are smart enough to do so, there's going to be a huge portion of people that let these things slide. The fact is most of the world has embraced Google stuff, or is even dependent on it, such as Gmail, docs, maps ect and especially in European countries, Microsoft has run into their share of legal problems with the way they try to monopolize. In the U.S. the younger crowd is smart enough to demand options, but a large portion of people who need to use a PC for one reason or another might not be so familiar or have a preference. This is where Microsoft is taking advantage. With win8, Bing and everything Microsoft is right in front of your face from the outset, and personally to me it's insulting, much like our political figures are in this country lol.

Last edited:
Yeah, Mak. Our computers are not phones. MS is trying to make it so. So what do we do? Repent.

You can not tell us what to "get over". We have our opinions, you have yours. End of story.

We are not tallking about games. We are talking about the desktop. And if Linux decides to go the way of Windows, there is still a choice to use Gnome, KDE, or any other flavor. Linux is not tied to one desktop environment.

Sorry mate, my computer is not a ****ing phone or tab. So therefor, I don't want it to look like one. I also don't use a touch screen, I have a mouse and keyboard. I don't need it to be easier to click on items because they are large useless boxes on my screen.

QFT

I've used the final version of 8 and hated it. The interface is simply broken and forces you to jump through hoops to do things that have been easy in Windows for close to 20 years now.

8 isn't popular and will be completely shunned by business for everything except tablets. If Windows 9 is similar to 8 I guess I will have to make the jump to OSX which is saying a lot since I hate Apple.

Back
Top Bottom