Windows 8 Upgrade

QFT

I've used the final version of 8 and hated it. The interface is simply broken and forces you to jump through hoops to do things that have been easy in Windows for close to 20 years now.

8 isn't popular and will be completely shunned by business for everything except tablets. If Windows 9 is similar to 8 I guess I will have to make the jump to OSX which is saying a lot since I hate Apple.
If that would be the case I would keep using 7 to play modern games until I couldn't then switch to console sadly and continue playing my older PC games.

QFT

I've used the final version of 8 and hated it. The interface is simply broken and forces you to jump through hoops to do things that have been easy in Windows for close to 20 years now.

8 isn't popular and will be completely shunned by business for everything except tablets. If Windows 9 is similar to 8 I guess I will have to make the jump to OSX which is saying a lot since I hate Apple.

On the business front, I don't think it's going to be completely shunned, but it may not make as big an impression as it could. What I mean is, Metro won't be a popular idea in the business world, because as in anywhere in the tech world, people have opinions. There's some enticing stuff in terms of management with server 2012, some of which go hand in hand with windows 8 client systems. I have heard that the corporate editions of 8 will be easy to set up in a way that isn't as pushy about metro, but I'm not sure how much metro can actually be minimized. We shall see.

It strike's me as really funny that MS is kind of pandering here. For the consumer, MS is attempting to keep up with the times and not lose market share to the tablet and smartphone culture, both of which is becoming so popular that successful market share can't rely purely on desktops and traditional laptops. For MS this has translated into adding a completely new layer on top of consumer OSs. Now on the other side, the business word, MS has gone in the opposite direction in terms of having options. Server 2012 is the first server OS from that you don't need to use a gui version if you don't want to. This is something that is trying to compete with hardcore Linux servers and saves on resources, an area that Microsoft hasn't been able to break into. The need to take this business server model and realize it will go just fine with business versions of windows 8 if they can reduce metro as much as possible on those editions. If they really want to corporations to upgrade, you give options and be careful not to scare, even if in reality there isn't much to be scared about.

*edit* Above I mentioned about using server 2012 completely without gui, that isn't so true, but the gui can be severely limited. I haven't seen exactly how that works as I have tested out the full gui version only.

Last edited:
On the business front, I don't think it's going to be completely shunned, but it may not make as big an impression as it could. What I mean is, Metro won't be a popular idea in the business world, because as in anywhere in the tech world, people have opinions. There's some enticing stuff in terms of management with server 2012, some of which go hand in hand with windows 8 client systems. I have heard that the corporate editions of 8 will be easy to set up in a way that isn't as pushy about metro, but I'm not sure how much metro can actually be minimized. We shall see.

The problem with 8 is the learning curve is to steep for the average user, they can use 7 just fine without having to re learn everything from scratch so that is what businesses will stick with.

I've tried 8 Enterprise and Metro is still there just like the consumer versions. I don't see them changing that for a while either since they seem set on forcing people to use it.

From what I'm being told disabling Metro is disabled.

Where the rubber meets the road is where MS should be looking if they want to make 8 a success, and unfortunately they have yet to address these concerns. They can hire people and/or pay people to blog about the advantages of Metro for businesses and IT professionals all they want, but its not going to cut it. They have to be paying attention to the concerns of IT people everywhere, and I'm sure they are paying attention, but so far they don't seem to be planning anything, or at least have not said anything. They must be pretty nervous about it though. I'm not speaking of the comments you'll see at the bottom of the negative articles written by bloggers and reporters , that's not where you are going to find the proof. You'll see the proof in pro-windows 8 articles and blogs in the comments section. It's more likely they are paying attention to the comments in those, because they need to be judging how well received the benefits are. When IT staff of large, medium and small business are all yelling the same thing in comments of those, there is a problem, because it means they've stopped listening. I'll have to agree now, I don't think this one is going to turn out well.

Sorry mate, my computer is not a ****ing phone or tab. So therefor, I don't want it to look like one. I also don't use a touch screen, I have a mouse and keyboard. I don't need it to be easier to click on items because they are large useless boxes on my screen.

I'm with this dude....

The problem with 8 is the learning curve is to steep for the average user, they can use 7 just fine without having to re learn everything from scratch so that is what businesses will stick with.

I've tried 8 Enterprise and Metro is still there just like the consumer versions. I don't see them changing that for a while either since they seem set on forcing people to use it.

You are absolutely correct regarding the steeper learning curve, and I would predict most people will be unwilling at first to learn the new tricks that old dogs will need to know to use Windows 8.

I have been using Windows 8 for several months now and I must admit, being a gung-ho microsoft user [I have eagerly waited for and enjoyed every OS they put out since Windows 95], this version was quite the shock to my "Previous Microsoft Experience and Mindset." I must also admit there have been many occasions when my ears turned a very bright red because I could not perform simple operations [such as easily find the control panel, computer, shut down button, etc.].

The next step I attempted to achieve success with using Microsoft Windows 8 was to diligently go through several tutorials over, and over again. Even after reviewing these excellent tutorials over and over again, I still found it challenging to throw out most of the ways of the older Windows OS UI and embrace this path, or way of thinking and interacting called Metro.

Have I mastered the new Windows 8? No way! It takes older dogs longer to learn new tricks...especially if the older dogs are used to performing the older tricks since Windows 95...over and over and over again day and night for years!

I must be totally honest with you guys...

No matter how much I try to forget the start menu and renew my mind to the Metro way of thinking, it still has not fully stuck! Somehow the tires of my mind are still stuck in the ruts called start menu, and I am finding it challenging to get out of these ruts.

Here's the good news: Little by little, I am overcoming my old ways of thinking and embracing the new Metro way of thinking. As I do, it is becoming easier and easier.

Some people say there will be several hacks or whatever you call it where you can have your lovely start menu back again with Windows 8. For me, I think that would be perhaps, not so good! Just think of it this way: All the time and effort I spent in renewing my mind to the Metro way of thinking will have been lost. Also, I may begin to feel a little confused now that I know both ways and I am not sure which one to embrace.

In conclusion: Windows 8 has been by far, the greatest challenge for me to embrace...much greater than any change Microsoft was ever implemented period. But, if I persevere, and do not give up, and am willing to give up some of my old way of thinking and doing and embrace the new, then Windows 8 is for me.

Hey Bill, can you hear me?

It's me,

Soar

QFT

Is it possible Microsoft is gambling on many people willing to lay aside the old to embrace the new?

If so, I want them to win, but they may not win.

And here is why: As much as we hate to admit it, part of our human nature resists change, even if the change is for the good...

No one after drinking old wine wants the new, for he says, 'The old is better'.

Men do not pour new wine into old wineskins. If they do, the skins will burst, the wine will run out and the wineskins will be ruined. No, they pour new wine into new wineskins, and both are preserved.

Special Note:

If you take a class of kindergartners through first grade, and expose them to Windows 8 before they had any significant exposure whatsoever to Windows 95, 98, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, they would be absolutely delighted. Because as the parable says, new wine is for new wineskins.

Last special note:

New wine expands. New wineskins are soft and pliable and have flexibility and therefore can accommodate the expansion. Old wineskins are hard and already formed and set in their ways according to past experiences. They simply cannot accept the new wine.

What's my point?

If we are flexible, yes, just like new wineskins, and willing to learn just as if we never knew anything about an OS, we, just like those kindergarteners will enjoy Windows 8 and be very happy to embrace it.

If we are trapped and set in our old ways of thinking, then we will not be as willing to embrace the new wine called Windows 8. In fact for many, it will be the most frustrating experience in 20 years of what I would say, were great operating systems.

I sincerely believe it has a lot more to do with our mindset than anything else.

It's me,

Soar

PS I have taught K-1st grade computer basics and have been amazed at what I have learned. They are so open to learning new things. I think, many many times, I have learned more from them than they have learned from me.

PSS Did I just kick a hornet's nest?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom