Windows 8 Upgrade

Agreed. Metro is something used on a smartphone. Not a laptop. Once windows 7 dies I'll be moving to Linux or Macintosh.

I would love to be able to use Linux, but quite frankly it baffles me. I know you can use Wine to run Windows based PC Softwere. But thats about it.

I am upgrading to Windows 8. I am not basing my decision on a flipping look like everyone else in this topic. I actually did the right thing, used it and learned it for myself. There are many advantages to using it other than the looks.

Just as Win7 was an improvement on Vista, Win8 is an improvement on Win7.

I'll have a look around the web with the likes of Google but what are main advantages over 7 with Windows 8? You're rite K, I've given it a Glance and heard alot of talk, never really looked at it for my self. Whats it like under thE hood. Is their much to it other than the Metro interface? Many advantages over Win 7?

(BTW, Kboy, you should edit your "1000 Gig Sata Seagate" to 1 Tb, looks more uniform, just imo.)[/QUOTE]

Done! Now I am feeling much more uniform....LOL

should i make my own operating system

Unless you know C# and C++, you wont get anywhere. Plus the only free Kernel is the Linux Kernel which doesnt use Windows software. So you will have to know Linux and not Windows.

There are many advantages. But without experiencing it yourself and finding out what advantages it has for you, anything I say will only be my opinion.

Under the hood, I couldnt tell you as I am not a programmer. But my personal opinion is that with the changes made to explorer alone is enough to make me upgrade for only $40. With the addition of everything that I do within it easily and the extra tools I have, it just makes sense for me to upgrade.

I'm deffo not upgradeing to Win 8 when it comes out untill all the Headaches have been sorted out. More than Likely when the first SP comes out. Does any one know when the shelf life of Windows 7 will expire? I know you can still go online and get updates for the likes of 95 98SE and ME I think, I think but I'm not sure. In a few years yea I'm sure I can go online and update Win 7 but I'm just woundering how long it will be officially surported by Microsoft?

Can anyone recomend when I should Update, I'm not going to hurry but I love windows 7 and want to wait yea, but dont want to be lft in the dark!

Just quickly, I take it I will have to decrypt the acutall Hard Drive and do a format if I want to install Win 8, as its encrypted by Truecrypt?
Windows XP still has support until 2014, and Windows 7 WAY after that. By the time 7 is EOL I bet you my CPU we will have at the minimum 2 more OS's from Microsoft. When Vista came out the voice of the public was heard and 7 came out a short 3 years later. I believe the same will be had for 8, just like ME in the past. Besides, the consoles that will be coming out 2013/2014 will be DX11 based, so I bet you any OS running DX11 will stick around for quite a while.

I am upgrading to Windows 8. I am not basing my decision on a flipping look like everyone else in this topic. I actually did the right thing, used it and learned it for myself. There are many advantages to using it other than the looks.

Just as Win7 was an improvement on Vista, Win8 is an improvement on Win7.
When I start my computer I want a desktop and start menu, not a UI that resembles that terrible Samsung phone I have sitting in the dusty corner of my closet. Word has it that being able to disable that has been disabled so there is no chance I'll give the retail copy a chance. Besides, from everything that I have read, seen, and even experience first hand Windows 8 offers nothing new to the table that 7 already has for me since I'm a gamer. I have a good PC, so a little less resource hog from 8 wont be noticed at all by me.

Back
Top Bottom