Windows 8 RTM Rumored to Debut in 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Windows 8 is reportedly planned for RTM on Friday, July 1, 2011 (1/07/11)

Windows 8 could be made available in the second half of 2011, according to information made public by Chris Green, a Microsoft developer.

At the start of December 2009, Green published what he referred to as a “graphical view of the publicly available product support lifecycle information.” The resource in question mentions Windows 8, the next version of the Windows client, Windows Server 2012, the next generation of Windows Server, and additional Microsoft technologies both released or in planning, along with RTM dates, and information about Mainstream and Extended support. The “Estimated Product Support Life Cycles” PDF has since then been taken down, but its validity is incontestable. Users can still access the information from the Bing cache, or download it via this link.

windows8coulddropin2011.jpg

Windows 8 planned for RTM on July 1, 2011 - WinMatrix

Windows 8 Could Drop in 2011 - Next year - Softpedia

Microsoft roadmap leak -- Windows 8 in 2011?

Windows 8 RTM to Hit in July 2011 - Tom's Hardware

Wow isnt this the same thing that i have said for how long now? Isnt this already stated in the Win7 Thread somewhere? Isnt this also stated in the Release Cycles thread? Every 3 years. Win7 released in 2009 would mean Win8 in 2011. shocking i know. :p

What i'm suprised about is server 2008 being replaced in 2011 by server 2012. Are the server OS's going to be on the same lifecycle of 3 to 4 years? Because 2003 was out FOREVER before 2008 came out - but i didn't know if this was because of a failed project with the vista build or if it was planned.

Just curious because companies are reluctant (cost) to upgrade from one server to another, unlike the desktop world where people have no issues upgrading after 4 years.

Server OS's are on the same cycle. XP X64 was based off of the Server 2K3 code. All Server based OS's will be only 64 Bit from now on. Starting with Server 08R2. That is only available in 64 Bit. It was due to the code failure of Longhorn that the release of Vista/Server 08 took so long to get out. We just noticed it more with XP 32 Bit cause that was released in 01.

What Windows 8 needs to be… Part 1

Everybody's got a wish list for what they want Windows to be. As a technical beta-tester for Microsoft and the author of the Windows 7 Power Users Guide, I've had a great insight over the last few years into what Windows could have been, having tested features that were later dropped from betas, and I've....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom