Windows 8 problems in VirtualBox

forrestcupp

Daemon Poster
I just installed the Release Preview for Windows 8 in VirtualBox. It works fairly well, except for some graphical glitches that make it hard for me to get a real feel for it. When I'm in the Desktop mode, sometimes part of the taskbar is drawn at the top of the screen. If I move my mouse to the top and grab the screen and move it, it goes back to normal when it snaps back in place. But then a little bit later, the glitches appear again. Having the part of the taskbar drawn at the top makes it hard to work with app windows that are maximized because it draws the glitch over the title bar, close/minimize/maximize buttons, and sometimes part of the menus. I've noticed some other graphical glitches, too, but that's the one that's the hardest to deal with.

I have guest additions installed, and it doesn't seem to matter what I set the chipset to in the VirtualBox settings. Also, it seems like when I installed the guest additions, the box to deselect the experimental Direct3D drivers was grayed out, so I was forced to install it. I'd like to get a better feel for what Win8 is all about, but this isn't helping. Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Your not going to be able to get a real feel. There is no drivers available for VirtualBox for the video adapter they use for Windows 8 Release Preview. Since the code has already changed from the Release Preview to the final version, fixing the major bug in the RP causing freezing on millions of machines, there is no way VB is going to care till the final comes out.

Back
Top Bottom