Windows 8 predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently in the latest build, people are noticing something missing from the "classic" look entirely, which is the start orb... I am sorry, but I know a lot of people who will ditch Microsoft over too many GUI changes, and I am one of them. I already know of two network admins that plan on rolling out environments that are *nix, to get away from Microsoft and how they keep wanting to change things, just because a simple location called "Start" is missing from the task bar. I guess Microsoft want's that whole bar to have your commonly used "apps" to be pinned there... Hate to say it, but Microsoft needs to learn, a PC is a PC, and a tablet is a freaking tablet.

Are they not keeping the classic look around at all? Is it being ditched entirely? I know of several large volume school districts ditching Windows (or even Mac) for Linux (we're one of them going Mac to Linux) and we personally have had incredible success. However, we're also not running Gnome Shell or Unity (though I doubt it would make much difference besides a slightly steeper learning curve). We're running a customized XFCE variant. So while other desktop environments are paving the way for new interfaces, our interface is aimed to be easy to use and simple with as minimal learning curve as possible.

I guess the bottom line is this. I'm all for change, I'm all for new toys and tinkering, but not at the expense of leaving a certain pack of users in the dust. (Apple is notorious for this) At the same token, catering to user's needs who want to use Windows 95 for the next 100 years is as LOL-able as you can get. You need a happy median, something that fits for the scenario. Especially when you introduce something drastically new, there needs to be a buffer zone, a transitional time period. I hope based on that principle alone that the start menu sticks around as an available option, at least for now.

I already know of two network admins that plan on rolling out environments that are *nix, to get away from Microsoft and how they keep wanting to change things.

In regard to this comment alone, that's one nice thing about a largely community driven segment of the spectrum. There will always be that fork, or alternative available. Once the Gnome project went to 3.0 and released Shell, out of left field came Cinnamon, an environment based on the look and feel of Gnome 2.0. If Microsoft/Apple goes balls to the wall with Metro/iOS and says nope, too bad. What do you have left to fall back on?

See that's what I was getting at. It's like they need everything to be a tablet.

Apple is beginning to scare me too with this. I'm not entirely sure why computer interfaces need to look tabletized. I don't think it'll be long where Apple will ramp down OSX with certain functionalities and ramp up iOS with certain functionalities to thereby make them uniform and one.

Might be slightly off the radar with the recent GUI discussion, but is Microsoft still forcefully pushing the secure boot with no possibility of disabling the thing? (as if it'll make a difference, because it'll be cracked 9 minutes after release anyway). When I read about secure boot and the ability to assign Linux keys to it to get them to boot, I thought, wow, +1 Microsoft. Way to offer security (not one of your strong points) yet allow functionality to exist for users with other OS desires... only to find out from a resource leak weeks later that Microsoft deliberately said absolutely no disabling secure boot. Sweet. Way to go all Apple on everyone. One can only hope this is not true and/or will change, because that certainly won't fly.

The thing is Apple and Microsoft aren't stupid (well that's debatable :p), and they do respond to user feedback. I'm guessing most of the crowd (non-tech people) kind of like the new tablet base. I'm sure both companies will realize when they have crossed the line between tablet and cpu. Hopefully...

The thing is Apple and Microsoft aren't stupid (well that's debatable :p), and they do respond to user feedback. I'm guessing most of the crowd (non-tech people) kind of like the new tablet base. I'm sure both companies will realize when they have crossed the line between tablet and cpu. Hopefully...

All of which can be debated until the end of time. I personally feel as though Apple does whatever they want regardless. They force upgrade a lot of users into newer gear and drop support for older stuff much more frequently than Microsoft does. I mean, XP is 10-11 years old and holding on strong. What about Apple with their PowerPC support from 2006/2007? Long gone. That being said, I would give Microsoft more credit to be more forgiving when it comes to transitional periods than Apple would be. I kind of doubt Metro will be forced. Default option? Definitely. But Metro isn't an interface that school districts and businesses will be striving to get. In fact, it'll easily be quite the opposite. But the home user hanging out at Best Buy on a Sunday afternoon trying to score an HP on sale would likely enjoy the new user interface.

Like I said before, I'm all about new stuff that I get to tinker with. But there's a time and place for it. I just don't see the enterprise responding well to it if Metro is all or nothing.

And overtime, people will get used to it. Remember when Unity embarked? So many dislikes. But these days, its really not that bad.

There should be a transition time, but they are flat out removing the Start location from the bar, but leaving the bar and programs there. I just do NOT like the way it is going, moving to Aero wasn't that big of an issue, as it is mostly the SAME, and aero is easily disabled if a user doesn't want it hogging resources. I would probably support this move more if every monitor came with great touch screen capabilities at no extra cost, that also didn't collect grease marks every time I swipe around the screen while eating my freaking KFC.

On a side note, if microsoft is becoming more like Apple, it is going to scare me. Blizzard recently made it known that there is a faulty Intel driver on Mac computers that have the Intel 3000 HD chipsets that causes games to black out. It has been happening for years now in some custom maps, but recently became wide spread.... And here I have been, for 2 years now trying to "fix" my map while it was an OS issue.

With the way Microsoft has done forced driver validation in 64bit operating systems, with no true way to disable it, all for "user security" it kind of worries me what else is in Win8 that isn't fully known yet.

I know the new file system they are pushing, they removed individual file encryption, and removed quotas... I actually used quotas on my home network... Will this impact networks that employ disk quotas over the domain?

Apple is known to be pretty bad for gaming. They have very little focus on supporting games. I wonder if that will change...

I was going to run the Windows 8 customer preview when it is released but if the start orb is gone I will save myself some time and not even bother. Is it to early to call 8 the next Windows ME? Heck with the way 8 is looking I'm starting to think Ice Cream Sandwich would make a better desktop os that it would.

Say what you will about Vista but at least it was a necessary part of progress, 8 feels like a massive step in the wrong direction.

I was going to run the Windows 8 customer preview when it is released but if the start orb is gone I will save myself some time and not even bother. Is it to early to call 8 the next Windows ME? Heck with the way 8 is looking I'm starting to think Ice Cream Sandwich would make a better desktop os that it would.

Say what you will about Vista but at least it was a necessary part of progress, 8 feels like a massive step in the wrong direction.

Well with that theory about vista, 8 could be a learning lesson as well :p

Well with that theory about vista, 8 could be a learning lesson as well :p

The problem is they are taking away to much functionality for it to be useful. I'd be willing to bet the lack of a start button will be enough for most businesses to pass on 8, the start button has always been there for most users and getting rid of it will cause substantial confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom