Windows 8 install can't find my hard drive

ChuckTesta

Solid State Member
Hello everyone I just finished my build and am installing windows 8 but when I reach the page that should show my hard drive nothing is shown and it says they can't find drivers at the bottom can anyone help please?

Hello everyone I just finished my build and am installing windows 8 but when I reach the page that should show my hard drive nothing is shown and it says they can't find drivers at the bottom can anyone help please?

What SATA mode is your BIOS on? Have you gotten the RAID drivers to load on boot?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TechForums

What SATA mode is your BIOS on? Have you gotten the RAID drivers to load on boot?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TechForums

I can't remember exactly what it's called but I think it's ahci. (forgive I'm not good with most things about computers but I'm getting better.) it's not raid or ide it's the other one. Where might I find those drivers?

If it is an older drive, it may not like ahci. Set it to ide or legacy in the bios and it should show up at that point.

I've had odd problems with Windows installs... Are you using a USB stick or a DVD as the Windows install medium?

If it's a USB stick, once I get to that screen, I take the memory stick out and go back to the first page of the installation.. then I plug it back in to a different port and it miraculously finds my drives :tongue:

I've had odd problems with Windows installs... Are you using a USB stick or a DVD as the Windows install medium?

If it's a USB stick, once I get to that screen, I take the memory stick out and go back to the first page of the installation.. then I plug it back in to a different port and it miraculously finds my drives :tongue:

Lol windows has been the most difficult part of the build!

I'm using a cd.

The Windows 8 disk has drivers for the ACHI Controller. So setting it to IDE mode might not help. I installed Windows 8 just fine with ACHI enabled.

More than likely it is cause the drive is not formatted to any file system. A new drive comes in RAW format which cant be used by Windows. You need to have it formatted to NTFS for Windows to be installed.

So does the drive show up at all at the drive selection screen? If not the best tactic to use is to get a copy of GParted on LiveCD. Boot to that and format the drive in NTFS. After that restart with the Windows disk and try the installer again. It should see the drive now that it is in the proper format.

Back
Top Bottom