Windows 8 Information *Updated for SKU Versions*

So have you tried this?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...MsImNvbS5jb25jZW50cmljbGl2ZXJzLmNhbGVuZGFyIl0.

I know for a fact this calendar can actively sync with multiple accounts. I do it all the time. It is sync'd directly with Google. Therefor if you already have your Google Sync'd within Outlook, then this will do everything for you. As you can pick which account you want to create the task under and it will show them for any calendar you choose. Seems to me like it is exactly what you need.

If its not, then I am completely lost as to what your trying to do. Cause I have 3 calendars synced between my PC and phone with no issues. It is even synced to my Outlook and Live stuff. Other than that, I have no clue what your trying to do an maybe in Oct you can figure it out. Cause I certainly cant and wont be able to. You are complicating the issue more than it has to be.

MS gave people Windows Phone 8 devices, yes. But that was just done very recently. The devices that were given out earlier this year, are Samsung Tablets at the /BUILD/ conference. Those tablets are the ones I am talking about.

I have no problem with syncing to the Phone. Most of the problem lies herein on syncing from Google to PC (Outlook). My own calendar and public calendars I've subscribed to (like for example the holiday calendar for my country) all appear fine on Outlook since they are public Google Calendars, which you can also subscribe to with Hotmail (even if they are Google Cal) and use Hotmail connector to have them appear on PC, so I can still access and see them offline, and have reminders regarding them. The problem comes from private Google Calendars which cannot be synced to Hotmail. An example would be the calendar we have for our class, where our deadlines, changes in schedule, make up classes appear. Only those who were invited can view on their Google calendar. Hence this has no problem appearing on an Android phone, but cannot appear on Outlook or anywhere else but Google.

This would be more of an issue really only on Surface devices, since on a laptop or PC I can just leave Chrome with Google Calendar running in the background. Using Surface, which is a tablet and battery life more of a consideration, leaving a browser connected to the internet indefinitely seems not a good idea, hence the issue of if the apps between desktop and Surface versions are similar. The Surface Pro probably won't have a problem since its running an x86 i5 according to Microsoft in their Keynote presentation (they did run Adobe Lightroom on the Surface Pro in the demonstration), and although I am leaning towards that, the Surface RT would indeed be cheaper. If the same apps run on both devices, and Office 2013 running on both RT and desktop versions "nearly" identical as MS claims, then I can expect ActiveSync on both ends and thus my private Google Calendar problems are solved.

The other main reasoning why I want to know if the same apps run on them is that since I will be upgrading my OS from the pre-installed Win7 Home Basic to Windows 8, I wanted to know if I can monitor the available apps for Surface using the Metro interface on the laptop and decide based on that whether to get a Surface device or not. I already do have an Android tablet, and like the iPad which I've tried before and considered, apart from using it to read pdf files and ebooks, I don't have much use for it productivity wise. The Office Suites suck generally, and the promise of MS of full Office capability on both surface versions is inviting.

Although further readings and watching the Keynote presentation appears that if I go Surface Pro, there would be no problems whatsoever since it is described to be using the full desktop version of Win8 (at least that's what MS is implying in their presentation and demonstration, using Adobe Lightroom as their example program).

And as you said, maybe indeed no one can answer the question at this point. Thanks anyway.

Okay I am lost beyond all belief. Why must you have Chrome open with the calendar at all times? If you are busy, what purpose does it serve having it there? Not like your going to be using it 24/7. So what difference does it make if you just use the browser to go to Google Calendar when you need to check something or create an event over having it open at all times?

Don't answer that. I don't think I want to know. It is just mind boggling how you feel you must do these things and keep so much separated. That is on you and no one else. You did that and continue to do that to yourself. I can't grasp it for the life of me what you gotta make it so complicated.

Yes the Surface Pro will have a full version of Windows 8 on it, so that will mean what your doing will be compatible between the devices. But you will have to purchase Office Separately for it and it has no Stylus support. But yet again, the documents you create on the PC will still have to be shared via DropBox, SkyDrive, Box or some other online service. They still are only stored locally. Office365, is a pay per use service and is separate than the Office 2013 AKA Office 15 builds that are out now. So not like you will be able to start editing a doc on the PC, walk away grab the Surface device and continue to edit as if you never left. It doesn't work that way.

I don't get reminders if Chrome is closed. Pretty simple enough. It's pretty difficult to explain without me explaining what I do all the time. I can't be late for seeing my patients but I also have lots of reports to write and study. Basically its about keeping s tight schedule. I am in fact trying to unify my calendars. However it is difficult to explain to you, because (correct me if I'm wrong) but you apparently have not much ideas regarding a shared or subscribed calendar on Google. Simply put, you can't merge a subscribed calendar to your main one. I would if it was possible.

The Pro has stylus support as well as e-ink as per MS demonstration. I think RT is the one without? No problem on sync as well, I have lots of space online. I can't seem to find any info on whether RT will have stylus support with palm recognition though. They used the Pro to demo that feature.

Okay I was getting my models mixed up. I re-read my post above where I posted about it. The WindowsRT model is the one that comes with Office and no stylus. The Windows Pro model comes with Stylus support and no Office. My bad. Not easy keeping all this information stored in the old head when your getting to old to remember everything. :lol:

Okay I have been going back over my material. It is stated that WindowsRT and Windows 8 apps will be able to be used by any system. But there is a catch, similar to the one I pointed out above with the Games for Windows aspect.

The apps can be made to work on any system, if and only if, the developer uses Visual Studio 2012 with the new WinRT architecture. If they do not, then the app will only be made available to the desktop versions of Windows 8 and not the WindowsRT versions as it will not have the necessary code built into it to work on any system available. So it seems that I was both right and wrong with my above statements. They can be used by any system but only if certain conditions are met. There is no saying that basic app developers are going to shell out the cash to get Visual Studio 2012 in order to make such apps. So there could very well be apps that are only available to the desktop given this information.

The apps can be made to work on any system, if and only if, the developer uses Visual Studio 2012 with the new WinRT architecture. If they do not, then the app will only be made available to the desktop versions of Windows 8 and not the WindowsRT versions as it will not have the necessary code built into it to work on any system available. So it seems that I was both right and wrong with my above statements. They can be used by any system but only if certain conditions are met. There is no saying that basic app developers are going to shell out the cash to get Visual Studio 2012 in order to make such apps. So there could very well be apps that are only available to the desktop given this information.

It's funny because it will probably only be a few library files that are needed for one vs the other. That's how it was with XNA for PC / 360 games anyway. Was in my Game Programming class and we were making a game in VS2010, and to put it on 360 was just a matter of replacing 2 or 3 library files and re-compiling. Thought it was kinda funny that's all it required; but a 360 is quite similar to a PC so it doesn't surprise me all that much. So we'll have to see what the difference between switching application architectures is for WinRT.

Actually that is a lie. Watch the video embedded. Specifically at the 34 second mark. You will notice that there is most definitely a Start Button now on the desktop. Something that is not present in current versions of Windows 8.

Here's how the new Windows Blue Start Button may work | ZDNet

There is an article that states just the opposite of what this article states. That Windows 8.1 will feature a Start Button as well as a boot to desktop mode. But the simple fact is this, people will have to get over the idea of the Start Menu. Just cause the button will be there does not mean the Start Menu is back, the button will take you back to the Start Screen, there is no bringing back the old Start Menu like people knew it.

The addition of the button is so that people don't have to bring up the Charms menu on the tablets in order to get the Start Button. This is mainly for that Surface Tablets that do not come with a keyboard that has the Windows key on it. So Microsoft addressed the issue of the Start Button not being readily available for use when people need it. So now instead of swiping to get the button, it will be present. But only on the desktop.

Sorry to say but Tech Radar failed to realize what the truth was behind the addition of the Start Button to the desktop meant or symbolized. They show it twice in their video but only to negate the fact that it was present. Never saying that it was present and bypassing the fact of it being there even though they showed it. So even their own video proves them wrong saying that the Start Button wont be there.

Back
Top Bottom