Windows 8/ Email Account

Pezzy

In Runtime
Hi all.

I've had the Win 8 beta for a few months now; and, I know that the official version of Win 8 is being released in October of this year.

I noticed when I was installing Win 8 beta that I had to have a Hotmail / Live account ID to enter.

Will this also be true and required for the official release version? Will anyone who gets Win 8 have to have a pre-existing Hotmail / Live account to continue with the installation? Or establish a Live account?

Or was this requirement only for the beta release?

Thanks for any info.
Pez

Yes it is true for the final release version. If you want to use the full features of Windows 8, you will have to sign in with a Microsoft ID.

The Microsoft ID is required for access to the Store and the social features that are built in. You can create a local only account but you will not be able to use these features.

KSoD....thanks for the reply.

So.....if I just create, as you say, a "local account", I can still install Win 8? Just not be able to access certain features?

If I create a local account, does the name that I choose have to be an e-mail address name? Like, "myname@cox.com"? Or could it just be a name, say, like the one I use here, and call the account name for a Win 8 install, "Pezzy"?

Pez

Yes you can go with a local account, but as stated you will not be able to use the Store to download apps. So really you might as well stick with Win7 at that point if your not going to use the 1 feature that makes Win8 worth it. From what I remember, very few apps work with local accounts.

People app is tied to the Microsoft Account
Picture app can do local but is much better with Microsoft Account
Mail can do local
No Store
No SkyDrive

No the local account doesn't have to have an email address name. Seriously even for $40 going local is just not worth what you lose.

Back
Top Bottom