Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lexluethar

Fully Optimized
Has anyone tried the Windows 8 Beta? How is the touchscreen?

I just won a Dell duo 1090 at my work holiday party and i'm anxious to try a different OS on it. Currently it has Windows 7 Home Premium but some of the touch screen functions don't take full advantage of the touch screen. The screen is really accurate so i'm looking to see if Windows 8 would be a better option for the tablet.

Windows 8 hasn't reached Beta yet, the only publicly available build is the developer preview which is not something you would want to use as your main OS.

You may want to give Android x86 a shot, they now have a Honeycomb release which should work very well on netbooks and the Inspiron Duo is one of the systems they test with.

Android-x86 - Porting Android to x86

I'm not worried about using it as my main OS, the PC is honestly just an extra one that I want to use as a tablet if possible. I did see some steps on dual booting android on it but some of the features won't work properly.

I'm okay with using the developer OS. Hoping someone's used the developer OS and tried the metro touch screen aspect. Would like to know what they thought and if it was worth giving it a try.

Windows 7 works great but how it 'interacts' with touch screen isn't great. No one's fault, it's just trying to use a touch screen on a normal PC - things like copying specific text, scrolling through a web page and typing are difficult because the OS isn't really designed just for touch.

Try increasing the DPI on 7 to 125%. I have heard several people say that this makes the touch interface much more pleasant to use. It won't fix all of the issues obviously but it might help.

I haven't heard of anyone trying W8 on a tablet but you would think someone would have by now.

ya id really like to see how people like the metro interface. this laptop has a hpome screen when you put it in tablet mode but they just tale you to tje normal apps

Search Bing for the /BUILD Conference. They gave away Samsung Tablets running the Developer Preview on them. So they will be the best ones to answer such questions as they have used Win8 on a tablet.

Thought I would thrown in an update - installed windows 8 on the touchscreen tablet. It works great, the metro interface is perfect for a touch screen and the boot time is remarkable. Only took 9 GB of disk space to install.

Same panel setup as the Windows phone.

I'm loving it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom