windows 8.1 pro

things i have tried:

Right now when there is no DVD in my drive and there is no OS on my system my bios looks like the following:

---> UEFI boot sources
.......Legacy boot sources
--------ATAPi cd-rom
-----------ATAPI cd-rom
-----hard drive
-----------sata1
-----Network controller (atheros boot agent)

When I put win 8.1 install cd I get:

---> UEFI boot sources
-----------uefi: hp dvd a dh16absh
.......Legacy boot sources
--------ATAPi cd-rom
-----------ATAPI cd-rom
-----hard drive
-----------sata1
-----Network controller (atheros boot agent)

When I try an install win 8.1 without any BIOS changes i get to the point where it says "copying windows files (0%)".
It stays that way for an hour without getting to 1%. Usually when i install this OS it goes to 1% almost instantly.
When I select "uefi: hp a dh16absh" it will do the same thing.

When i select ATAPi cd-rom and select the partition i want to put OS on it says "windows can not be installed to the disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style.

When i select uefi and hit esc to boot using defaults it stays at 0% without any incriments. Which i assume is ignoring using esc to boot to defaults.

Plz help. thx

Last edited:
Set the CD-ROM drive as first boot. Reboot with your Win8.1 disc in to boot off of it.

When i select ATAPi cd-rom and select the partition i want to put OS on it says "windows can not be installed to the disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style.

Have you tried putting the Win8.1 install ISO on a flash drive instead of using a disc?

Microsoft Store

the biggest flash drive i have is 4gb and with nothing on it but its files and it has 3.69 GB free. Would that Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool and win 8.1 pro fit on 4gb drive? According to the link it says:

What size USB flash drive is required?

You need a USB flash drive with a minimum of 4 GB of free space.

So should i assume it would?

thx

May need more than 3.69GB. You can try it - the tool should say if it's not big enough.

You could go out and get a larger flash drive for very cheap - usually on sale for like $10 for an 8GB or 16GB one even nowadays.

ok lets try this again, the correct key to change boot order is f10, when i hit that i get a menu of storage>boot order and i hit enter. i have the options of the following:

uefi: boot soueces
usb floppy/cd
usb hard drive
atapi cd-rom
legacy boot devices
atapi cd-rom
usb floppy/cd
hard drive
sata1
network controller (atheros boot agent)

when i select uefi>atapi cd rom and select f10 accept and then file, save changes and exit and enter. The boot up and enter the product key and hit next,
accept license terms, hit next, select "custom: install windows only (advanced), select the partition i created for windows 8.1 pro and select next and it sits there at 0% without increments.

when i select legacy boot devices>atapi cd rom and select f10 accept and then file, save changes and exit and enter. The boot up and enter the product key and hit next,
accept license terms, hit next, select "custom: install windows only (advanced), select the partition i created for windows 8.1 pro and select next and it sits there at 0% without increments.

I'd still suggest trying to run the install from USB to eliminate the possibility of the disc/optical drive being bad.

i imaged my PC 02/26/14. since then i had to replace my keyboard on this pc. I just restored my pc using acronis true image from that date. when my PC boots up it asks me to choose your keyboard layout with options usa, arabian, arabic 101 or 102 or 103, armenian and a few more "a" options. I click on usa and then it says choose an option of

continue (exit and continue to win 8.1)
use a device (use a usb drive, network connection, or windows recovery cd)
troubleshoot (refresh or reset your pc, or use advanced tools)
turn off your pc

i select continue and it reboots. window pops up and says PC ran into a problem and needs to reboot and keeps on repeating these steps. what do u recommend i try next. Should i put the keyboard that has a problem back on it and restore it again or would u do something else. Please advise me.

thx

chara33 said:
i imaged my PC 02/26/14. since then i had to replace my keyboard on this pc. I just restored my pc using acronis true image from that date.
That's a least something...

One thing you can try (because you've been messing and resetting things in the BIOS) is to set everything back to how it was on 2/26/14, if you remember the settings.

If you went and "reset your BIOS to defaults", then, as an example, by default your SATA setting is set to "RAID" when you actually had it in AHCI (or vice versa).

i did a fresh install of 8.1 in sept but something happened to it and after going through all of the above i am now at the point where i said in my previous post of refreshing at 95%. if it is still at that point after an hour, what should i do next plz?

After an hour i rebooted it coz it was stuck there. This time i tried to reset while deleting my programs and apps setting it back to default. Was running fine until 97% and is stuck there again.

What could be causing this? Is there anything else i can do?

thx

Back
Top Bottom