Windows 7's XP Mode Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll believe it when i see it. besides, won't the windows 7 desktop tie up a lot of your hardware so that you just have basic functionality in the VM environment? The day I see proper gaming in XPM under windows 7 i'll strap myself to a flying pig and come visit you so that you can see me eat my hat.

No. cause Win7 doesnt use as much resources.

So... you're assuming everyone has a disk and code for their XP install? I think I see a flaw in your logic.

Did i saw anything of that matter? No. Now your putting words in my posts that were not there. Not to mention we have given people plenty of ways to make use of their current installs without needing a Disk.

Image it with Ghost or Acronis, Make a disk with the topic we have in the Read First thread, and if they need their serial there is Magic Jelly Bean.

there is no flaw in my logic for the fact that those minor details can be overcome with just a little bit of reading or a simple question. Considering i just gave 2 ways around not having the disk and the easiest solution to the no serial i think i made my point that it can still be done.

My point is simply this:

We know NOTHING about what XPM is. All we know is that it is there. There is not enough information at this time for us to sit here and guess what it can or cant do or what it is or isnt.

If you wish to think that it is just like a VM, fine. But i would rather find out for real than take a guess with no information.

well that's fair enough, I guess we'll see how things pan out. Its just when otherwise normally well informed people start to get enthusiastic about a new version of windows I tend to get a mite sceptical. After all, Microsoft's Raison d'être is not to make good software but rather to rinse as much money out of the public as possible, and I smell a rat.

I am only enthusiastic cause i have used it for a while now and i do think it is much better than Vista. Even at this point in time with several tabs open in Opera, 3 MSN windows, Outlook, and a bunch of other things running i am only at 51% of RAM usage.

Right now you are probably like that is a lot. Compared to XP running teh same software, XP uses roughly 46% of RAM with all this stuff going.

So only a 5% increase in resources is a good thing. The additions to Win7 for me make this a must have OS. More so than Vista. While i liked Vista and defended it, i still think to this day that it was puched out to fast and that Vista SP1 is what it should have been.

To me Win7 is the best thing since XP and if push comes to shove i would take Win7 over XP. That is how good i really do think it is. Considering even at this stage of the Beta i can run all the exact same software. All the same games. Everything. Not even Vista was this functional at this stage. ;)

So... you're assuming everyone has a disk and code for their XP install? I think I see a flaw in your logic.
Anyone who has a prebuilt computer with XP on it has a code. That's what that Windows sticker is that's on the back of every computer that you buy. The number on the sticker is your license number that you use to install Windows. It doesn't matter if you have a disc or not. There are plenty of legal ways to install Windows without the original disc as long as you have the code.

As for whether or not it has the same limitations as a virtual machine, we'll just have to wait and see. Hopefully, someone can test it out when the RC is released and let us know.

I have a spare valid copy of XP I could try it with; may try it out on RC release day.

I have a spare valid copy of XP I could try it with; may try it out on RC release day.

I think Mak said his computer won't run XPM. I have a Core 2 Duo T5550, and that won't even support it. Your CPU has to support hardware assisted virtualization.

So, I guess I'm out of luck anyway.

Edit:
I must be blind. I thought you said Mak could try it out on RC release day. :)

I think Mak said his computer won't run XPM. I have a Core 2 Duo T5550, and that won't even support it. Your CPU has to support hardware assisted virtualization.

So, I guess I'm out of luck anyway.

Edit:
I must be blind. I thought you said Mak could try it out on RC release day. :)

Yes, you must be blind :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom