Windows 7's XP Mode Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Windows 7's XP Mode Requirements

According to Microsoft, Windows 7's XP Mode will require at least 2GB of memory and a processor that has true chip-level virtualization.

Microsoft is coming up with details about what hardware and licenses this will need. A CPU that has true chip-level virtualization from Intel or AMD. 2GB of RAM minimum. While XP Mode will be a free download for buyers of Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Enterprise, and Windows 7 Ultimate, you will need a licensed copy of Windows XP Service Pack 3.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1414915

So its saying you'd still have to buy a copy of XP, even though the XP Mode is free? Just wanting to get some clarification on that one.

So its saying you'd still have to buy a copy of XP, even though the XP Mode is free? Just wanting to get some clarification on that one.
Yes you would. But if you already have a copy it should work just fine.

Figured so, just wanted to get somebody to clarify for me so if somebody asks me. Thanks Mak.

So, basically, it's not any different than using vmware or virtualbox for free and having to have a licensed XP to run in it.

If I can already do it for free with other vm's, I don't see this as a good reason to spend more money on a higher version than home premium. I guess they'll have to woo me with other features that I can't already do.

No it is not. As you said yourself running a VM is crippling for certain types of applications. At this time to claim that XPM will do the same is wrong. It could be jsut like install Ubuntu in Windows using Wubi. Basically having 2 OS's on the same hard drive partition without causing issues.

So it could be a full XP install which allows you to do everything you do now without restrictions. To sit here and think and say that it is going to be jsut like a VM is premature. We dont know. If it turns out that it is just like using Wuibi then what?

Plus what is the big deal? If you are using XP on the machine right now, you do NOT, i repeat do NOT, have to buy a new copy of XP. It is already licensed on that machine. It is already licensed with that hardware. Therefor you can still use that disk and that serial to install within Win7.

The ONLY way you would have to BUY XP again is if you did this on a brand new pre-built machine or built a brand new machine for yourself. Even then it wouldnt be any different than it is now.

No it is not. As you said yourself running a VM is crippling for certain types of applications. At this time to claim that XPM will do the same is wrong. It could be jsut like install Ubuntu in Windows using Wubi. Basically having 2 OS's on the same hard drive partition without causing issues.

I'll believe it when i see it. besides, won't the windows 7 desktop tie up a lot of your hardware so that you just have basic functionality in the VM environment? The day I see proper gaming in XPM under windows 7 i'll strap myself to a flying pig and come visit you so that you can see me eat my hat.

Plus what is the big deal? If you are using XP on the machine right now, you do NOT, i repeat do NOT, have to buy a new copy of XP. It is already licensed on that machine. It is already licensed with that hardware. Therefor you can still use that disk and that serial to install within Win7.

The ONLY way you would have to BUY XP again is if you did this on a brand new pre-built machine or built a brand new machine for yourself. Even then it wouldnt be any different than it is now.

So... you're assuming everyone has a disk and code for their XP install? I think I see a flaw in your logic.

He's assuming that most people have a disk and a code, if they have a legit copy of XP. Even if you have a Dell, you have a legit copy and a code. If you have a computer already built, and you install Win7, you can use your old copy of XP. If you buy a new computer (built or prebuilt), according to the M$ agreement, you CAN'T use your old copy of XP unless it has a license that lets you do so because of the different hardware. Hence, having to buy XP.

I'm for the idea that this XPM may be better than VM, but it's possible it could have quirks. Who knows? We haven't seen it yet.

But gaming in XPM? If you're so desperate to game on something besides your main OS, then partition your hard drive, and install it normally. But don't complain when something that makes it simple to have all the functionality of XP without partitioning has one quirk.

On top of that, you don't even know if Win7 will be terrible for gaming or not. Everything I've seen of Win7 has been pretty top notch, why would gaming be any different? Unless you are one of those XP purists when it comes to game performance and such. Personally, I don't see the big deal in losing a frame or two by using a different OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom