Windows 7 x64 on Raid 0 16k Cluster Size Setup Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

madmax670

Baseband Member
Hey guys,

I am having a slight problem with my build and setting up Windows 7 x64 RC 7100. I want the install to be on my 500gb raid 0 array (16k cluster size) that I formatted in windows with another windows installation on another hard drive.

When I enter the setup for Windows (after installing my raid drivers from the disk) it will not allow me to install windows on the pre-formatted partition that I created in windows. The only way that I know to proceed with installation is to delete the partition and use the utilities in the Windows setup to create a new volume and format it there. It gives me the error message "setup was unable to create a new system partition". I am not sure what is causing this.

I have disconnected the hard drive with the other windows installation that I used to format the raid array, so it's not currently in the system.

If anyone has run into this problem and has a work-around, I would really appreciate some insight. Thanks in advance guys.

Max

Set your raid array up via the raid bios on your board. A software raid can only been seen by an installed operating system. Not one to be installed.

The array is set up through the bios, I just need it formatted with a 16k cluster size which is not an option in the bios.

Well what is the smallest that your controller can set up? 32?

In order to install the os it must be set up by the controller.

If you must have a 16k cluster you can purchase a controller card which will support it.

The cluster size is determined when the volume is partitioned. The volume is already set up in the raid controller on the motherboard, and I have had a windows 7 installation installed and working on it before.

The problem is that it was the 4k cluster size that windows defaults to when it partitions the volume in the setup. I need a 16k cluster size and when I try to install windows on the pre-partitioned 16k volume, I get the problem described above.

I have the same mobo and processor as you fyi :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom