Windows 7 won't update

alban

Baseband Member
Today is october 27th 2016 i have windows 7 ultimate 64 bit my windows update won't work it just keeps searching and searching nonstop when i go into control panel>programs>programs and features>installed updates and check for installed updates i have update for microsoft windows (KB976902) from 11/10/2010 i can't install new windows 7 updates whatever the latest windows 7 update was i mean it's 2016 and i can't be using files from 2010 lol.

Symptoms
When searching for Windows Updates via the OS on a Windows 7 SP1 PC; you may experience one or more of the following issues:
  • Searching for or scanning for updates is slow, takes forever, or takes several hours
  • The Windows Update Client appears to hang or freeze
  • An instance of SVCHOST.exe used by Windows Update components has unusually high CPU usage at or near 100%

Error Code
None

Cause
A bug in previous versions of the Windows Update Client and Windows Update API in Windows 7 may cause major performance issues when there are too many applicable Windows Updates available.

Resolution
Please note, the Resource Page for this update calls out that there is a possibility of it breaking Bluetooth capabilities with Intel Bluetooth drivers. If your suspect has an Intel Bluetooth adapter, ensure it is still functional after completing the repair. If it is not, a solution until Intel updates their drivers past version 19.00.1621 is to uninstall KB3133977 and hide that update.

Install KB3172605 by downloading the .MSU, expanding the .MSU into a folder, and then applying the .CAB file using DISM.

After downloading, open an admin command prompt and navigate to the folder containing the update package. The following commands will create a folder, extract the files into that folder, and then install the updates manually using DISM
Code:
mkdir update
expand -f:* Windows6.1-KB3172605-x64.msu .\update
dism /online /add-package /packagepath:update\Windows6.1-KB3172605-x64.cab
Now reboot the system and updates should install much faster

For 32-bit, change the x64 to x86 above.

If you get an error that the manifest file contains a syntax error (error 0x800736B5) follow these additional steps:
The issue is that the Version key under Component Based Servicing in the registry is out of date and DISM does not know how to process one of the commands inside the update. To fix this, download the Windows 7 Rollup Prerequisite below (Only the Prerequisite, not the accompanying large update). Open an admin command prompt and navigate to the folder containing the Rollup Prerequisite and use these commands to apply it:

Code:
mkdir prereq
expand -f:* Windows6.1-KB3020369-x64.msu .\prereq
dism /online /add-package /packagepath:prereq\Windows6.1-KB3020369-x64.cab
Reboot and then you should be able to install the KB3172605 update without getting a syntax error.

As an additional note, if your Windows 7 system is a fresh-install, recently upgraded to SP1, or has not done updates for a very very long time, there are possibly hundreds of applicable updates. In this situation, it is advised to install the Windows 7 Rollup Package, which contains all updates between the launch of SP1 and April 2016. This update requires the system to have SP1 installed and 1 additional prerequisite update before it can be installed. Download links below.

Windows 7 Rollup Prerequisite x64
Windows 7 Rollup Update x64

I had the same issue when I installed Windows 7. On another forum I asked about this and one of the gurus there was able to assist me it sounds like you have the same issue I did. I will copy over what he said and credits to pbcopter there.

Follow these instructions exactly.
First, set Windows Updates to never check for Updates.
Next reboot your computer, then install KB3020369, if not installed.
Then install KB3172605.

Windows updates should return to normal. You can then reset your updates to automatically check for updates if desired

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3020369

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172605

Back
Top Bottom