Windows 7 won't start any programs!

dclemons2

Baseband Member
So this what went down:
I was playing a game for moment (not even more than 5 five minutes) then the game froze completely and it began reving up my CPU to 100% and I tried closing it with task manager but everything started to slow down dramatically, eventually everything just froze, causing me to shut off the pc the wrong way.
After the reboot, the pc started acting up, programs won't load. Steam usually opens at login, it doesn't anymore (it gives me a fatal error message unable to load steam) I can't open google chrome at all, I can open internet explorer but this sorry browser just freezes up anytime I try to go to a website.

I want to know what happened, and if my system is trashed now. Someone please help me.

Try a chkdsk:

Start -> type 'cmd' (without quotes) -> right click -> run as admin -> in the console window that pops up type:
chkdsk C: /f /r
Press Enter and it will say it cannot lock the current drive and to run on next reboot. Type Y and hit Enter -> Reboot your computer and let it run through the check (it may take some time, depending on how big your HDD is).

You should still run a chkdsk - a reinstall won't fix a disk with bad sectors.

While this is definitely true, he's pretty much just eliminated any other possibility of what the problem was xD So if he's still having issues after a reinstall, then it's definitely the HDD causing the problem, or some other piece of hardware failing.

Back
Top Bottom