windows 7 wont install ...HELP!

baronvongogo

Fully Optimized
Hi all,

I hope someone can help I have been trying to get windows 7 to install for a couple of days now. Here is what happened.

I bought some new computer parts mobo, gfx ,cpu and ram. The hard drive still had windows 7 installed from previously. I decided to do a fresh install. The mobo I bought did not have an IDE connector so my DVD drive is not usable.

I had to try and install from USB stick. I keep getting the error:"setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing partition. See setup log for more information."

I have tried all of the following steps:

1.Formatted the whole disk using windows 7 installer
2.Used DISKPART and the CLEAN command
3.Used partition tools on the ultimatebootcd (used usb version) created new partition using these tools same issue.
5.changed settings in BIOS from Native IDE to AHCI
6.On ultimatebootcd used a NUKE hard drive tool which took around 4 hours same issue..
7.Installed Windows XP 32 bit which installed fine, wont let me run windows 7 64bit in windows xp unfortunately. Ran Windows 7 install via boot up and get same error even though it recognises XP on the drive as it says it will move it into a windows.old folder...

Is this issue just down to trying to install from USB? I guess my last idea is take the hard drive out plug it into my other comp and attempt the install via DVD drive.

Anyone else have any ideas before I do that?

Last edited:
some specs about your pc would help.
Does your cpu have a 64 bit processor?

you can't install from another pc. Windows activation won't let you do that. You might possibly get away with that if both pc's have the same chipset, but does not make a very good clean install even if that did work

Thanks for the reply Joe, I got around the issue by using a USB dvd drive worked like a charm :). I think it was due to the windows install detecting the USB as another drive and hence would not proceed.

This issue is now resolved!

Back
Top Bottom