Windows 7 won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a recovery partition on the HDD but as I am unable to access it from the laptop I can't run it. Would I be able to do so if accessing externally or would it try to run the recovery on the host machine; will it offer an option to select the drive to run the recovery? Dell told me it was a .dll error and that i would have to use their software (and pay for it) to fix it. I'm beginning to think it's going to be easier to just find a Windows 7 disk and do a fresh install. He may lose his program files but at least the computer will work.

No, I pretty sure he bought it with Win7, there is a sticker on the hand rest next to the Intel sticker; probably pre-installed and didn't come with a disk. He made the repair disk using Windows after the purchase. He may just be SOL. Don't matter to me, I'm still gonna get paid. ><

Thanks for the input KSoD and Trotter. As always very helpful.

I almost asked if Mak was still around...I'm sooo observant!!

If you tried to access that partition on another machine it would try to repair the host machine, not just the drive attached. From the sounds of it, it will require a disk to do a full format and reinstall. You will have to find a OEM disk.

Yes Mak is still around. I am right here. :lol:

What if I back up the recovery partition to a different drive, reformat the bad one, copy the partition to the reformatted one and then run the recovery? Wishful thinking?

Sorry but your going to need a disk. It wont work with moving the recovery partition. Most of the recovery partitions are protected. You cant move the files as they are protected. You can try it but i wouldnt hold gour breath.

Posted from my Motorola Atrix using the Tech-Forums App

Try giving dell a call with the serial no. model no. of your machine.

They should be able to ship you a copy of the build CD's, there might be a P+P cost but i belive they are required by provide these upon request.

They decided to not include restore disks with new workstations to save money i belive.

Get some disks get it repaired your data should be ok.

Yes and no. If this was bought by a 3rd party via a Retail Store, they dont have to provide OEM Disks for just processing and shipping. They can charge a small fee for them resulting in the cost of you to get the media much higher than expected. We sold the 1545 in my Walmart and they are sold as is. Dell doesnt have to do anything if it is out of the 1 year manufacturer warranty period.

So yeah you could get the disks for about $20, if your still in the first year. If not then you will be charged as much as they want to charge you.

Well I left that up to the owner of the machine. I could do it but I don't want to wait to get reimbursed for out of pocket expenses. I just wanna charge him for the work I did (which will be hard enough to collect).

@porkstone: I already called Dell and they were VERY quick to try and sell me some of their repair software that was "exclusive to Dell...blah blah blah". No thanks Dell.

@KSoD: I managed to get the repair disk to give me all the advanced boot options but since that menu is coming from the repair disk (which has the error) none of the options work. I'm still waiting to hear from the owner weather or not he can retrieve the product key. Can he ask M$ and will they give it to him?

Microsoft doesnt have any record of who has what serial. There is no personal information taken when you activate. So there is no way that they can know that X serial goes with Y machine. The only thing he can do is reinstall Windows, try to activate and when it fails cause of an incorrect serial it will give him a 1-800 number to call and he can get it activated that way. But no way they can trace back his specific serial.

If none of the repair options work from the repair disk, then the chances that the Recovery Partition are still in tact enough to do what you suggested earlier are dead. Cause to get the Recovery Partition to start the process you need to either have Windows already installed and have the option set to recovery the computer, or you need the Advanced Boot Menu option to Repair your computer. If neither work, you have no option but to format and reinstall. Transferring data and trying to go back to it will not work.

Got it. Still gonna grasp at straws but what if I clone the partition using Acronis...never mind. I should read the whole post before I respond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom