Windows 7 or Windows 8?

But wait!!!! You said it was within the Store and on the Start Screen. That is an IN GAME ADVERT!!!!

Now show me a single iOS Free Apps or Android Free App that doesn't have Adverts. They still have to make money and these games are designed to be run on Windows 8, WindowsRT and Windows Phone 8. So yes the games can and will have adverts. This is not new and it is most certainly not Adware.

So your claim is still wrong. No where does it say that there would not be Ads within Games or Apps. That is completely up to the developers, and yes Microsoft is out to make money just like the rest so to think they wouldn't include an ad is ridiculous. That would be like saying Google wont show Ads in Chrome cause it is a Google Product. Oh wait that is already busted cause they show them in Android which is also their product.

Your claim is just saying ALL ADS are adware. Just cause you don't want to see them doesn't make them adware. People still have to make money and even this site, yes TF, has ads. We all have to pay the bills, cost of hosting and so much more somehow. Nothing is free. Your claim to it having Adware is false.

I bet you will say that Chromebooks have adware as well cause they shows ads as well....

once upon a time I could open Solitaire with only two clicks! and I did not get any advertizing!
(can you believe that? M$ games that we have had for over a decade without an ad!) As far as I can tell....it's still on my windows pc!

Just because we have become desensitized from our Google mail and Facebook advertizements, let alone iOS ads in apps, doesn't mean I want to see that in my windows too. If I want to use "Apps" and see advertizements, I would use a tablet
The more I start using Windows 8... the less I find reasons to like it.
I hope windows 9 will have the smaller footprint to boot up fast. shut down fast but leave all the advertizement crap off my pc and give us our games back on our desktops where they should be
oh wait.... there is a Games folder on my programs list on the desktop!. But it's Empty!!

The footprint size is fine. And what are you talking about with boot times? The laptop I've been playing with has 4 gig of ram, a regular spindle hdd, and a 1.8 ghz AMD APU. It boots and is ready to go in 6 seconds. And I mean logged in, ready to use. 6 seconds.

Considering windows 7 on my system (see profile) loads in ~12-15 seconds, depending on what I change (I play with settings a lot), and that's a single core @2.2 ghz, I don't see where you pull this from.

If you downloaded windows 8 in some manner, something is wrong with it, and it's been tempered with.

What are your system specs?

Edit: haven't seen an ad in the store, only been on there once though. And there are not ads in google mail.

Last edited:
I'll search my comp now and see if I can find this, I love solitaire :p

I'll let you know if I find anything similar.

Regards,

Lab.

That's what I ment, I guess it did not come across very well.
I like the way Windows 8 boots up and shuts down and I'm running it with a dual core 2.8 Intel chip. It really starting to annoy me with all the Metro crap, You or I should say I can not play simple solitaire games with out running into metro in some way and finding advertizements too
I just bet the next windows version Windows Update will have video's for Taco Bell commercials

Taco Bell? :grin:

Do you use your Apps a lot though? I've never used any Aps since installing Win8, I just downloaded the programs which I needed and just use those really. The Aps approach really is not my thing, gimme my desktop and start button any day!

I'm on a Lenovo T500 Laptop: intel core 2 duo cpu p8700 @ 2.53GHz 2.53GHz (whatever that is), 2GB RAM and 32bit, so it's not the best but shutdown and startup times are excellent, much faster than ever and I don't know why.

/Lab.

Last edited:
I've been running Windows 8 for a while now. I am actually quite fond of the interface. However, that fondness comes with a stipulation. Windows 8 on a tablet oriented device, something I can hold in my hand and use with the flick of my index finger is something that tends to make sense. I think it flows nicely and I can get the hang of things easily. Once you put Windows 8 on a computer with screens 10 inches or larger and give me a mouse and keyboard to use, it sends me into a homicidal rage that I can't even begin to describe. It's usability is a joke and the limitations of the Win 8 store are laughable at best.

If you're currently using Windows 8 and you enjoy it, carry on. There's nothing that should stop you from using a tool that does the job you need. For me, personally, I can't even begin to feel a distant tolerable sense of progress even after weeks of use.

I hear windows is great for dual monitor setups, because you can have the tiles in one screen and the desktop in the other, on the tiles you could have updates to your FB feed etc, or TF. just my 2 cents

Did you download ClassicShell which gives you your Start button back? It's basically like running a Windows 7 but with Windows 8 features.

@Steve - that's a great idea, I tend to have my text editor/IDE open in my laptop screen and browse the web/forums in my other. Even just when you have multiple windows open when browsing the web, if you keep flicking to and from the same pages it's real handy to split them into two screens. So if you're fond of the desktop and Aps screen, it's ideal.

Regards,

Lab.

Last edited:
I installed 8 last night and so far it's a hell of a lot faster than win7. I installed start8 to go with it, so it now looks and feels like 7 just that it has all of the power saving and boosts that come with 8.

Back
Top Bottom