Windows 7 vs. Windows 8.1

When I built mine I had a copy of 7 retail so I could have used it, BUT I want to continue using the old system so I opted to get 8.1 and didn't really like the setup at first and ended up getting a program called StartIsBack for $3 I think and it is great, once your used to some of the features you start to really like it and it seems to boot a little faster than 7 does also but that was not a big point to me (I can wait 15 seconds longer on a boot and not care. I do like 8.1 with the StartIsBack added.

I have Start8 myself. My fiance refused to install it though - she said she would just deal with it lol. She seems to be used to it now, I think.

When I built mine I had a copy of 7 retail so I could have used it, BUT I want to continue using the old system so I opted to get 8.1 and didn't really like the setup at first and ended up getting a program called StartIsBack for $3 I think and it is great, once your used to some of the features you start to really like it and it seems to boot a little faster than 7 does also but that was not a big point to me (I can wait 15 seconds longer on a boot and not care. I do like 8.1 with the StartIsBack added.

Dauntae
Screenshot364.png

You could have gotten Classic Shell :3 It is free and even adds a start button to windows 8.1.
7296d1342252938-classic-shell-windows-8-screenshot-14-.png

Although I highly do not recommend Windows 8.1 if you are into playing games. I couldn't play half my games from Steam due to the fact you have to purchase some kind of right from Microsoft in order to use .exe files. Some .exe files work, some don't.

It's a rip off and I highly recommend Windows 7 for your gaming needs!

Edit:

It even has a customization start menu + button!
038_Windows_8_1_Classic_Shell_Visible.png

Last edited:
I never had a single issue playing games in 8.1. What you just explained sounds like some ****ware on your machine rather than an issue with Windows.

You could have gotten Classic Shell :3 It is free and even adds a start button to windows 8.1.
*snip*
I think Classic Shell is ugly - I don't like the expanding style folders of the old Start Menu. I like the self-contained Start menu like Vista/7.

If you really wanted free, you can just use Ex7For8, which uses Explorer from Win7 and integrates it into Win8. You just won't get some of the nice features Win8 has, like ribbon UI in file explorer.

Although I highly do not recommend Windows 8.1 if you are into playing games. I couldn't play half my games from Steam due to the fact you have to purchase some kind of right from Microsoft in order to use .exe files. Some .exe files work, some don't.

It's a rip off and I highly recommend Windows 7 for your gaming needs!

Agreed with PP... nobody I know has encountered that issue. I play games all the time on my Win8 install, as does my fiance. A lot of other people I know do as well without issue with the OS.

All the games I play often all have icons on the fesktop, You even can see many of them in the screenshot, Startisback has different options for the view and the square in the corner of the screen is the start button and brings up the menu in the screenshot, Very close to what my windows 7 has.

Dauntae

I hear rumors of 9 coming out in Q4 2015
If so, then why bother with 8/8.1?

Because Q4 2015 is not only a full year-and-a-half away, Microsoft doesn't always keep their schedule, especially since it is so far away still. Also, some people might want to wait till the bugs are ironed out, instead of installing Windows 9 on day 1.

Free does not always equal better.

I bought Start8, mostly because Classic Shell gave me explorer crashes every so often, which Start8 does not.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom