Windows 7 on Virtual PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReptiGuy

Baseband Member
I am trying to download Windows 7 onto the Virtual PC and when I open it up this error comes up:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.

Info: Ramdisk device creation failed due to insufficient memory.

I tried to upload it onto my laptop so I thought my laptop was messed up but I downloaded Virtual PC on my moms fairly new desktop computer and the same error came up.

Multiple people that I've talked to say they have used Windows 7 on Virtual PC so I know it will work.

Anyone have any ideas on what's wrong?

How much RAM are you dedicating to the Virtual Machine? Windows 7 minimum requirement is 1GB so if you are dedicating less that could be the issue.

How much RAM are you dedicating to the Virtual Machine? Windows 7 minimum requirement is 1GB so if you are dedicating less that could be the issue.

I'm pretty sure that is the problem.

When I was setting up the spot for Windows 7 I didn't even pay attention to how much RAM it was using (I just used the amount the the Virtual PC recommended) and it was only using 124MB of space and I tried to boost it up to 1024MB but it won't let me.

I guess I just have to accept that I probably won't be able to test out Windows 7 :(

What Virtual Software are you using? Windows 7 is not known to work in all of them.

VMWare does work. Virtual Server 2007 can have some problems. VirtualBox is known to work but has complications as well.

What Virtual Software are you using? Windows 7 is not known to work in all of them.

VMWare does work. Virtual Server 2007 can have some problems. VirtualBox is known to work but has complications as well.

I'm using the Microsoft Virtual Server 2007.

I was finally able to install Windows 7 on Virtual PC on my moms desktop computer. (You were right, it was a RAM problem).

I'm using the Microsoft Virtual Server 2007.

I was finally able to install Windows 7 on Virtual PC on my moms desktop computer. (You were right, it was a RAM problem).
I figured as much.
Does Windows 7 take up as many resources as vista alone?

Please read the Sticky threads. They are there for a reason.

If this is any help to you my VM specks are 2gb of ram dedicated to the VM but with it able to burst upto 3gb and 40GB Disk space but it's set to dynamic

How are you liking it Reptiguy?

I'm running it through VMplayer and it's not as great as I'd like it since I can't add much to it. I even get a bit of cursor lag!

:/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom