Windows 7 utilities: What is your opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbc

Banned
I have windows 7 and I need to install software to add several utility functions. All software must be virus and add ware free, compatible with windows 7 and my preference has always been for shareware and freeware software. I do not mind paying for the software if I can try it first. I have Norton Ghost for backup, and C Cleaner for registry and clan up functions. The next thing I would like to add would be disk De-fragmentation. Where do you go for utilities for Windows 7? What software would you recommend for Windows 7 De-fragmentation?

Win7 has a built in defrag that runs when it is needed. I have had the same install of Win7 since the release and i have never installed or run a defrag and i have never had a single issue with slow down due to fragmentation. That is cause the auto defrag operates when the percentage gets to high and defrags for you.

But to answer the question, the maker of CCLeaner also has Defraggler.

Ok, I have the registry cleaner and the defrager. What else would forum members recommend in the way of utilities? Also C Cleaner (which I have used many times and learned to trust the software) does not have a scheduler function, is this a function that I can add a utility to accomplish? I would prefer that these sorts of operations occur in the background without my intervention.

Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Task Scheduler

There is the only scheduler that you need and it is built right into windows. No extra utilities needed. You have to learn to stop depending on addon utilities when the built in ones will do you just fine. Win7 is built so that it can operate on its own with very little input from 3rd party applications unlike the old days of XP where you had to use all 3rd party tools.

Many thanks to all for the information. Where is your favorite place to go for Windows 7 utilities?

The defrag in windows 7 does a good job and runs pretty regularly. I check every now and again and the fragmentation is usually less than like 3%.

I use CCleaner for cleaning up the registry.

I also use Microsoft Security Essentials - best freeware out there IMO. It has caught many things that Avast! and AVG have missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom