Status
Not open for further replies.

Druid

Fully Optimized
It says that one of the following problems is stopping windows from upgrading:

1. you can't upgrade from 32 bit vista to 64 bit vista
2. you can't upgrade from 64 bit vista to 32 bit vista

I have vista ultimate 64 bit, and I am upgrading to 7 ultimate 64 bit

In the installation, it asks whether I want x86 or x64, and, of course, I select x64.

Why is it doing this?

Also, it thinks one of my storage controllers (A1XUJNL3 IDE Controller) won't work after installation and I need a driver upgrade, but I can't find any drivers for that. I'm not really sure what it is actually. Windows doesn't find anything when I have it search, and nothing comes up in google.

Here is exactly what it says:

The following issues are preventing Windows from upgrading. Cancel the upgrade, complete each task, and then restart the upgrade to continue.

* You can't upgrade 64-bit Windows to a 32-bit version of Windows. To upgrade, obtain a 64-bit version of the installation disc, or go online to see how to install Windows 7 and keep your files and settings.

* 32-bit Windows cannot be upgraded to a 64-bit version of Windows. To upgrade, obtain a 32-bit version of the Windows installation disc.

Upgrading Windows will affect the following devices and/or programs:

These devices might not work properly after the upgrade. Before upgrading, we recommend updating the drivers for these devices. Cancel the upgrade, open Control Panel and search for "update device drivers", or go to the device manufacturer's website to search for updated drivers.

o Storage controllers: A1XUJNL3 IDE Controller

Have you read teh first page of the FAQ thread and run the Upgrade Advisor?

Yeah, I ran it. FAQ did tell me anything helpful in regards to my problem.

This is what it gave me:

I know this is hard to read, so basically it said everything was ok but the drivers on my soundcard.

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor Report
Computer Name: BIGPAPA
Operating System: Windows Vista Ultimate
Manufacturer: System manufacturer
Model: System Product Name
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
Memory: 6.0 GB

System Details
Upgrade options available You can upgrade to 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate.
Go online to get detailed instructions on how to upgrade
Windows Mail, Parental Controls (Web Filtering), and Ultimate Extras These features are no longer included in Windows 7. You can get similar programs for Windows 7 from other software manufacturers.
Go to the Microsoft website to learn more
Windows Aero support Your graphics adapter supports the Windows Aero user interface.
Go online to learn more about Windows Aero
CPU speed: 2.7 GHz Your CPU meets the 1 GHz minimum requirement.
6.0 GB of RAM Your PC meets the 2 GB minimum requirement.
501.5 GB free space available on C: Your hard disk meets the minimum requirement of 20 GB free space for 64-bit Windows 7.

Devices Status Details
Creative X-Fi Audio Processor (WDM)
Creative Technology, Ltd. Not compatible The driver installed for this device is not compatible with Windows 7.
ATK0110 ACPI UTILITY
ATK Check Windows Update Check Windows Update after installing Windows 7 to make sure you have the latest driver for this device, otherwise it may not work.
Edimax 802.11n PCI Card
Edimax Technology Co., Ltd Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7.
HP Deskjet D1500 series
Hewlett-Packard Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7.
Intel(R) ICH10 Family 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 2 - 3A26
Intel Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7.
Intel(R) ICH10 Family 4 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 1 - 3A20
Intel Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7.
JMicron JMB36X Controller
JMicron Technology Corp. Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285
NVIDIA Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7.
Realtek High Definition Audio
Realtek Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7.
Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)
Realtek Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7.
VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
VIA Compatible This device is compatible with Windows 7.

Programs Status Details
Age of Empires III
version 1.00.0000
Microsoft Game Studios Known issues You may experience issues running this program on Windows 7. Before upgrading, we recommend uninstalling this program.
Microsoft Office Enterprise 2007
version 12.0.6425.1000
Microsoft Corporation This program has earned Microsoft's Compatible with Windows 7 logo.
Learn more about the Compatible with Windows 7 logo
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable
version 8.0.59193
Microsoft Corporation This program has earned Microsoft's Compatible with Windows 7 logo.
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (x64)
version 8.0.50727.42
NVIDIA Drivers
version 1.10
NVIDIA Corporation This program has earned Microsoft's Compatible with Windows 7 logo.
NVIDIA PhysX
version 9.09.0814
NVIDIA Corporation This program has earned Microsoft's Compatible with Windows 7 logo.
NVIDIA Stereoscopic 3D Driver
version 7.16.11.9107
Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor
version 2.0.3001.0
Windows Live Essentials
version 14.0.8089.0726
Adobe Reader 9.1.3
version 9.1.3
Adobe Systems Incorporated Compatible This program is compatible with Windows 7.
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Compatible This program is compatible with Windows 7.
Microsoft Office Outlook Connector
version 12.0.6423.1000
Microsoft Corporation Compatible This program is compatible with Windows 7.

Are you starting the install process from WITHIN Vista? That is how these upgrade disks work. You start the install from within Vista and then choose custom if you dont want to do the in-place upgrade. If you try just booting from the disk you will get a error since it is only a upgrade disk it will nto find a previous version of Windows installed that qualifies for the upgrade.

The first time I booted from it, and it told me to restart my computer, load vista, and then put in the disc. That is what I have been trying to do, but it keeps giving me that error.

I do only have sp 1 not 2, but you're supposed to be able to upgrade from either, correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom