Windows 7 Student upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runfox

In Runtime
I downloaded the windows 7 $39 student upgrade Professional edition . I am doing some preliminary checking before I attempt to install. I also ordered the CD.s by mail for back up. I was thinking of putting it on my wife's computer first. I'm not sure how well it will run on her minimal requirement machine though. Her comp specs are AMD Athlon XP3000 , 1 gig ram, plenty of HDD space. I have WIN XP running fine on it, so as I say I'm kinda hesitant right now.
Looks like a pretty involved process to use the downloaded file, burn on CD , make bootable to do a fresh format / install. I got the Win 7 Pro edition because I saw it had Win XP emulation or something to that effect.

Has anyone else done this yet?

Actually talking to my wife I'm thinking I should hold onto this Win 7 copy, than next year, when I have some money, Ill build a new high end gaming computer and put win 7 on it, and then give my wife my comp I'm using which has a AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+, and put that copy on it then. I sure dint want to have Win 7 on one machine and Win Xp on the other and then try to Home Network them together like that. I tried that before with a win 7 trail copy and couldn't figure out how to net work them together.

Question: What are the System Requirements? How do i know if i can run Windows 7?
Answer: The system Requirements are as follows:

1GHz or Better Processor
1GB of RAM
16GB of free space on your hard drive
Support for DirectX 9 with 128MB of Video Memory (For Aero Support)
DVD Optical Device

Along with this you can also run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor. This will tell you what issues you will have with your current setup when you move to Windows 7.

Right on the very first page:

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/windows-7-thread-faq-172024/

http://www.techist.com/forums/f27/windows-7-usb-dvd-download-tool-218462/
Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows: Clean Install Windows 7 with Upgrade Media

Right on the last page of the same thread.

Thanks Mak that pretty much covers I guess......... I still wonder if the computer with minimum 1gig ram, 1ghz processor will run decent with 7 , or be better off sticking with XP?

You will more than likely be better off sticking with XP. As those are the bare minimal specs for win7. So you may notice lag using Win7. Plus depending on the Video card you may not even be able to use Win7. You must have a DX9 card. If your system is that old, you most likely dont meet that requirement. Try running the Upgrade Advisor and see what it says.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom