Windows 7 and still no Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.

klook

Solid State Member
I followed the advice and bought 2G more ram for my XPS. Trouble was no one told me a 32 bit system could only "see' about 3.5. That aside, I was "seeing" 2.75. So I upgraded to W7 64 bit and endured all the crap with drivers and such to get my moneys worth out of the new ram. Well long story short, I am "seeing" 2.75G of ram. I have tried to adjust the Bios but this option does not seem to be available to me. I have gone into msconfig to reduce the total ram to get skype to work, which it did. I have reset it to 4096 and still I see 2.75G. I have a motherboard that is 64 bit enabled to cover that base. Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

The only other thing I can add is that when I got the new memory, I got a bad module, and it was replaced. However, the one that they sent me is 6400@400Mhz and I use 5300@667Mhz. When I called them they told me it would work fine, the faster one would be force to work at the slower speed. Is this correct?

Kevin

Start>run>msconfig>boot tab>advanced options

bootoptions.png

Check the box for Max Memory and set it to 4095. Yes i know that 4GB is actually 4096 but just try it. Does this help at all?

Yes the RAM chip will run at slower speed.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
No, it did not work. I just tried to copy and paste into this post, not sure if it worked. I am still seeing 2.75G.

Boy, that was a garbled message. I tried to copy and paste a screen shot of my system page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom